Some chuckelhead rookie south of Atlanta is going to ruin it for us!

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I was at a school playground on sunday and I noticed some fresh large holes in the dirt that were not filled in. They were not in the sand or the wood chips, they were in the soil. I know it was someone with a metal detector that did it. I spent about 10 minutes filling in HIS holes so that I wouldn't be blamed for them. Today I went to a different town about 14 miles and went to the park. There were similar holes again!! Underneath picnic tables, under benches, under bench swings and not filled in. I spent probably another 15 minutes filling those in. This guy is such an idiot. I scanned two of his holes and got signals. There was a penny in each that he missed (I have a small coil that allows me to pinpoint). If you are out there and reading this please fill in your holes or you are going to ruin it for everone. The groundskeepers of these places are not going to put up with it.

Upvote 0

catlord17

May 13, 2006
I went to a park today and had to go around filling in holes all over the place too. Needless to say it didn't make me happy either.

G

Ground Squirrel

I was on Galveston Island last month and I found and filled-in a hole that could have wrecked a car if it had gone there. Driving on some beaches is ok down there. I know it was a detector hole as it had a huge iron pipe at the bottom of it. I can see where a person might get angry after digging a two foot deep hole in lose sand, but still that's no reason to get mad and just walk away.

GS

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
As my Dad used to say.........."bunch of #$@ damned jackasses!!!" Are these idiots too lazy to fill in their holes or are they just ignorant & dont know any better? Id like to catch someone doing that crap around here, I'd light their punk butts up! I aint one to play around with when I get pissed, & that crap realy pisses me off! I was reading that in Boise Idaho you have to take a test, actually dig a series of coins to prove you can do it without destroying the ground before being issued a "detecting liscense". And dont get caught detecting in Boise without one, steep fines, loss of equipment, etc. This all stems back to a little girl who broke her ankle in a hole dug by a jackass detectorist at a city park some 20 years ago. You are absolutely right Ringding, ignorant and/or lazy people will give us all a bad name & ruin it for everybody! Keep filling his holes til you catch up to him, then knock him into next week for us all! We would like see pics of the bloody carnage too! >:(

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
RD,
I've been detecting around town here for about a year. I've NEVER seen another detector. Today I went to the park just to walk the 1 mile track (still trying to lose some weight!). As I passed the soccer field, I found five deep holes that looked suspiciously like recovery holes---that hadn't been filled in. I puffed my fat butt over there and bent over as far as my bruin sized belly would allow and filled them in. It took about the 15 minutes that it took you.
I can't understand why anyone would be that lazy/ignorant! I've got a good relationship with the police here(occasionally have looked for stuff for them) and I don't think they would believe I had left those holes, but if they find them before I get the holes filled in, how long will I be allowed to hunt there? Some jerks ruin it for all of us.
AP, I might be tempted to follow your advice if I catch this guy leaving open holes!

grizzly bare

remember, bares are taught to cover their holes!

catlord17

May 13, 2006
I'mthinking about writing a letter to the editor of my local newspaper dressing whoever did this down, and perhaps this will help repair the image detectorists have when I say something like how much time I spent learning how to do it properlyand that Ialways make sure to cover my holes and do my best to make them undetectable, and how I cover the holes left by others who are not so responsible and I'd like to point out to whomever it was that they are only shooting us all in the foot with their laziness and ignorance.

Sound like a good idea?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure you folks are not seeing the results
of a squirrel digging?

Noticed it myself here in Illinois.

Even had 3 holes on my property and I have
not detected it in years.

all have a good un.......

catlord17

May 13, 2006
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Sure you folks are not seeing the results
of a squirrel digging?

Noticed it myself here in Illinois.

Even had 3 holes on my property and I have
not detected it in years.

all have a good un.......

Squirrels dig holes of a certain general size. Their holes also tend to have the comet effect, with a "tail" of sand in one direction. There's plenty of squirrels where I live, and there are squirrel holes where I was, but there's a difference between what a spade does and a squirrel. Nice try though. ;)

Z

ZumbroKid

catlord17 said:
I'mthinking about writing a letter to the editor of my local newspaper dressing whoever did this down, and perhaps this will help repair the image detectorists have when I say something like how much time I spent learning how to do it properlyand that Ialways make sure to cover my holes and do my best to make them undetectable, and how I cover the holes left by others who are not so responsible and I'd like to point out to whomever it was that they are only shooting us all in the foot with their laziness and ignorance.

Sound like a good idea?
The letter might cause a park banned for all. Better for folks to just fill those holes of others.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i ve seen squriels that will dug up plugs...guess they are looking for my nutz........... :P
well on a serious note you see this person doing it walk up ask him what hes doing, then tell him to fill his whole or youll stuff him in it...he gives you lip smack him in the teeth ;D ;D thats how we did it in the old neighborhood...

Z

ZumbroKid

dekalb33 said:
i ve seen squriels that will dug up plugs...guess they are looking for my nutz........... :P
All that help you should be able to find them soon.

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I saw many squirrel holes at the park and they are much smaller. The holes made by the metal detectorists were about 12" across.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Be careful writing a letter to the newspaper....because it might draw unwanted attention to yourself and our hobby. People will read it and label all of us as the "One bad Apple". Better to just fill the idiots holes and hope you come across them yourself for a personal confrontation,rather than public. I have even been filling the dang squirrel holes,so I dont get accused.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted my back yard and had about 15 holes dug that I filled back in. The next day everone was dug back out. I filled them in and the next day they were dug back out again. That night I solved my problem with one noise complaint from a shotgun blast and a dead armadillo. ;D
Burdie

catlord17

May 13, 2006
Perhaps a letter to the editor is not a good idea. I doubt he'll be back to that particular park, since it's so trashy that you couldn't tell if your detector passed over a coin on the surface in a lot of places, but if I see him, I'll make sure to teach him a thing or two.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i dont think i will have that problem around my town..... i think i have the only detector within a 50 mile radius.... never seen ANYONE around here using one.

keep your eyes peeled and maybe you can catch the moron digging those holes and explain the unwritten rules to him. if he still doesnt comply... confiscate his equipment.
lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread