What's new

Some hand rolls provide...

Howeburger

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
MN
I stopped by a bank that only provides hand rolled rolls. I have a suspicion that they always fleece any silver and package the scrap. Anyways, I pulled a nice 1984 proof. But what was wierd in these rolls is the fact there were so many THICK halves. They were clean and had sharp edges. There were many from 1986, 85, 84, 83. I also found many 2002, and a 1987. Are any of those 80s worth keeping or is it only the 87's???? I can never decide whether or not to keep the 2002+ halves I find.

Thanks and happy hunting.
 
Upvote 0
I only keep one of the NIFC each for my personal collection. Its REALLY hard to sell them for anything much more than face in my personal experience.

As far as keeping the non-87 "thick" halves. I wouldn't keep them unless they look near NIFC quality in shape... msg65+ or something. I mean... they aren't rare or anything, and a lot of the older halves are thicker than the newer ones in general.

Grats on the 87 and the proof though. Those 87's are tough cookies to track down.

~Dave
 
You may have found some halves from mint sets which always seem to be thicker, sharper and sometimes prooflike.
 
Thanks a bunch. I have a pile of NIFC and will probably dump them, I guess they are not worth holding on to.
 
I've gotta ask: does anyone know why the Mint produces all these halves that were not intended for circulation? What was the point of making them if they weren't planning on releasing them to the public? Did they have some sort of quota to fulfill?
 
af1733 said:
I've gotta ask: does anyone know why the Mint produces all these halves that were not intended for circulation? What was the point of making them if they weren't planning on releasing them to the public? Did they have some sort of quota to fulfill?

They sell the NIFC for more than face, thus make a profit. Since nobody really spends halves anymore, I figure the mint decided a few years ago that the only reason to make them is for collectors who are willing to pay over face, thus the NIFC were created.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
af1733 said:
I've gotta ask: does anyone know why the Mint produces all these halves that were not intended for circulation? What was the point of making them if they weren't planning on releasing them to the public? Did they have some sort of quota to fulfill?

They sell the NIFC for more than face, thus make a profit. Since nobody really spends halves anymore, I figure the mint decided a few years ago that the only reason to make them is for collectors who are willing to pay over face, thus the NIFC were created.

Jim
Ahh, that makes sense, thanks!
 
Does anyone know if the above face value sale price from the mint on the NIFC halves/coins counts towards seigniorage? Or because they are NIFC, is it not counted?

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
Does anyone know if the above face value sale price from the mint on the NIFC halves/coins counts towards seigniorage? Or because they are NIFC, is it not counted?

IIRC seigniorage is only the cost the mint incurs to manufacture the coin subtracted from its face value.
(Ex: if it takes 9¢ to make a half than the mint's seigniorage is 41¢, minus another penny or two for shipping, etc.). Whatever price they sell them for is profit on top of that.
 
So on top of the composition they get even more for selling for above face then right? Obviously they are GETTING more... but I was wondering if it goes towards the actual tally or if it falls into a different category of profit.

~Dave
 
Huh, never seen a msg-65 grade coin before. Was that a typo?
 
enamel7 said:
Huh, never seen a msg-65 grade coin before. Was that a typo?


I think that is a coin that is graded by a Chinese restaurant that has a grading service in the back room.

Jim
 
Chinese food isn't the only food with msg in it you know...

You are going to get a lot of that stuff unless you are a total organic health nut. ;)

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
Chinese food isn't the only food with msg in it you know...

You are going to get a lot of that stuff unless you are a total organic health nut. ;)

~Dave


I heard that the food people changed what they call msg now, so it can still be in a product even though it does not say msg. Maybe they changed one small ingredient of the msg, or something like that....

Jim
 
Same question, was it a typo?

Happy Hunting!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom