Some help for anyone tackling Strathmere for Spanish gold

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, if you happen to be searching Strathmere Beach NJ for 1700s Spanish gold coins, here are my search tracks from today’s 4 hours and a previous visit which turned up empty with nothing but some clad coinage. Not to suggest that I didn’t miss anything on my coverage with Deus XP on beach modes. And of course, maybe long gone since the 2008-2012 activity. An incredibly frustrating day but hoping these maps may be helpful to you if you decide to go. PM me if you’d like too! All related stories of hard searching work that has turned up zeros are welcome, which is why I posted this in General. Happy hunting. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571531700.837937.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571531710.934838.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post. I'd heard of the stuff from that beach. I normally hit Coin Beach in Delaware which also has gold coins from at least three eras on it. Once upon a time ago I was also told a whole bunch of Spanish escudos turned up in one find, by the man who said he dug them. I've been doing fossils this month, no detecting yet but it's coming soon.

OP
OP
S

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m guessing the difference between Coin Beach and Strathmere is that the Faithful Steward went down 100 yards from shore with 400 barrels of coins— and Strathmere maybe much less deposited from a single dredge. Would be great to see a response from someone who has hunted Strathmere recently.

KZ2088

Greenie
Jul 23, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from there and hit that beach the day word got out. I manage to get one Silver (1771) with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (first detector). I was 16 at the time. There were guys out they with Minelabs that thoroughly combed that beach. One guy had a pocket full of them. Out of the hundreds of silvers that were found, I only heard of 2 gold coins being found. The kid that made the discovery when he was sitting in his beach chair.. his was a gold one. I am positive they've all be found. I combed that beach along with dozens of other guys that week. If you want to find the ones that didn't get sucked up into the dredge, youly need to dive out to where the wreck was that they accidentally dredged over

KZ2088

Greenie
Jul 23, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there's tons more at the wreck site, but not on the beach. I remember playing on the beach when they were dredging it and can put my finger on a map and show you were they were if you ever want to go dive it

Surfline

Dec 30, 2021
I'm sure there's tons more at the wreck site, but not on the beach. I remember playing on the beach when they were dredging it and can put my finger on a map and show you were they were if you ever want to go dive it
Ive been there a few times. No 1781 reales. I missed the big hit in 2008-2012 but have talked to many about the day the dredge went over the wreck. What I'm trying to understand is whether the dredgers were using cages, and if so, how such large coins ended up on the beach. They replenished recently and it was very clean. Haven't been back in a while. I also thought the wreck 2
Was pretty far offshore, for example more than 200-400 yards. Any replies welcome. Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread