Some Interesting Finds In My Yard Today Including a Mystery Coin! How Do I Clean It?

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did a quick search after the rain and found a nice marble, a Wheat (1955 I think), a piece of lead and a coin from 1944. It's heavily encrusted even after a light scrub with a toothbrush. Right now I have it soaking in grape seed oil. Hopefully more of the coin will be revealed soon.

There are what look to be Arabic characters on the coin. I'm not sure why there is so much corrosion, I'm assuming because of the type of metal-- but I'm not sure what it's made of. Thanks for looking!

IMG_8894.jpgIMG_8895.jpgIMG_8896.jpgIMG_8897.jpgIMG_8899.jpgIMG_8900.jpgIMG_8901.jpgIMG_8902.jpgIMG_8903.jpgIMG_8904.jpgIMG_8905.jpgIMG_8906.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8898.jpg
    IMG_8898.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 8
Could be 1944 Sixpence - so 50% silver - and clue to clean. Soak in lemon juice.

That is crusty, was it on iron in the hole? Nice digs DB. :thumbsup:

What I would do? Take a ball peen hammer and lightly beat the snot out of it till the crud comes off...for best results, do it on your wife's new marble countertop.

Don't do that.

What I would do? Take a ball peen hammer and lightly beat the snot out of it till the crud comes off...for best results, do it on your wife's new marble countertop.

Don't do that.

I am the wife and my marble counter has seen plenty of metal detecting action. :cat:

That is crusty, was it on iron in the hole? Nice digs DB. :thumbsup:

Loco-- there's a part of my yard that is filled with iron and it was in that location. I'll post new pics of the coin today. I still can't figure out what it it.

Here's the coin cleaned up a little. Going to post in What Is It Forum.
IMG_8914.jpgIMG_8915.jpgIMG_8916.jpg

Yeap, not a sixpence like I first thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back