Some interesting info for those of you in New Jersey

G

garbage digger

An unofficial variety of the wartime coin dated 1944 was made in 1954 when counterfeit nickels were produced by Francis LeRoy Henning of Erial, New Jersey. He had previously been arrested for counterfeiting $5 bills. The 1944 nickels were quickly spotted since Henning neglected to add the large mintmark. He also made counterfeit nickels dated 1939, 1946, 1947 and 1953. It is estimated that more than 100,000 of Henning's nickels reached circulation. These can still be found in pocket change, and there is a thriving collectors' market for them, although owning a counterfeit is technically illegal. Henning dumped another 200,000 nickels in Copper Creek, New Jersey, of which only 14,000 were recovered. Another 200,000 are thought to have been dumped in the Schuylkill River. When caught, Henning was sentenced to 3 years in jail, and had to pay a $5,000 fine.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Intersting topic. I never knew the story, so being the skeptic that I am, I had to verify it. Living only a few miles from Erial NJ makes it even more interesting.

I was detecting a branch of the Cooper River near Erial last week. Now I may have to go back to find the 8,000 remaining nickels.

For more details, go to

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v07n13a09.html

T

toms582

I was just checking, but is this supposedly the Cooper River/Creek (south Jersey through Camden) or Copper Creek (just south of Frenchtown)? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Tom

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
toms582 said:
I was just checking, but is this supposedly the Cooper River/Creek (south Jersey through Camden) or Copper Creek (just south of Frenchtown)? Anyone know for sure?

Tome:

Given the fact the Erial NJ is located near branches of the Cooper River, and that Copper Creek is 50 miles away, I am sure it is Cooper River.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread