some old finds with no id.

wondering if any has any information on this medal. it was found in a picnic grove, and it says ster

• medal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • buttons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Attachments

• DSC00323.JPG
    DSC00323.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 566
  • DSC00327.JPG
    DSC00327.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 570
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 549
  • untitled 2.JPG
    untitled 2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 550

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea on the button, but the medal is a World War II era US Army Sharpshooter qualification badge. It was worn on the fron of the dress uniform, and is missing it's pin back. The two loops actually are the bottom of the medal, and tabs were hung from the loops, with each tab listing a differant weapon the soldier was qualified for. There are a few of these for sale on eBay. Here is a link to one just like it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36059&item=6519535718&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Does not seem to be worth much, but still an excellent find, and it is silver!! Good luck on the button ID, and happy hunting!!!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not an expert. But the badge appears to be the same as one issued by the Army for at least the past 25 years. What is it that would identify it as WWII? Or how do you tell the difference or date the item.

Thanks,

Ed

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed, the sterling mark is the key. I am not sure exactly when they started making these medals from a compsition of differant metals, but the one in the picture is marked "sterling", which dates it at least as old as the 40's, and it could be older than that. I have the same medal from my 3 year hitch in the Army (late 80s) and it is not marked sterling, and is not silver.

OP
OP
rasrandy

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks for that id guys.Ill have to md that area again sometime. Too bad it wasnt intact. H/H

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The marksmanship awards now are rhodium plated vs sterling silver. I joined the military in 1974, and sterling had not been used in quite a while at that time.

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
The top one is a very old button, and could be worth a few if it is military. Ebay is a good source for IDing things. There may be some button sites you could surf. Keep dgging!

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
appears that your top two buttons are what we call "flat buttons",basically they stopped making them about the 1830's when the two piece manufactuing of buttons came about.Depending on the backmark of the buttons and whats on the face will help to identify them.
So what do the fronts look like and can you tell us what the backmark's say? Daniel

OP
OP
rasrandy

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Daniel
I will post some pics on the buttons this evening.I have 3 flats,one 2 pc.button all found in the same area . Its very hard to read the backs and the fronts appear to be plain . thank you for the button history.

OP
OP
rasrandy

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Here are the button fronts.Not much to see,i have to try and make out the backmarks.They are smaller than a dime.

Attachments

• DSC00324.JPG
    DSC00324.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC00326.JPG
    DSC00326.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC00328.JPG
    DSC00328.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 389

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
treasurekidd said:
I have no idea on the button, but the medal is a World War II era US Army Sharpshooter qualification badge. It was worn on the fron of the dress uniform, and is missing it's pin back. The two loops actually are the bottom of the medal, and tabs were hung from the loops, with each tab listing a differant weapon the soldier was qualified for. There are a few of these for sale on eBay. Here is a link to one just like it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36059&item=6519535718&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Does not seem to be worth much, but still an excellent find, and it is silver!! Good luck on the button ID, and happy hunting!!!
i dug one just like it. the cross i have it in my boxs of stuff that i dug over the years. thanks for the id. this is a neat site

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
jon43 said:
treasurekidd said:

i dug one just like it. the cross i have it in my box's of stuff that i dug over the years. thanks for the id. this is a neat site
mine looks a bit different

Attachments

• shooters medal.jpg
    shooters medal.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 187
  • shooters medal 001.jpg
    shooters medal 001.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 184

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
wayne1956 said:
The marksmanship awards now are rhodium plated vs sterling silver. I joined the military in 1974, and sterling had not been used in quite a while at that time.
WAYNE, Got Mine in 1966, Had to check, But Mine is not silver Either. trk5capt...

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Jon, your badge is a WW2 Army Motor Vehicle Driver's badge. Instead of having qualification bars with such things as rifle, pistol, machine gun, etc. this one would have bars that would read driver-T (for tank driver) or Mechanic.

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
nhbenz said:
Jon, your badge is a WW2 Army Motor Vehicle Driver's badge. Instead of having qualification bars with such things as rifle, pistol, machine gun, etc. this one would have bars that would read driver-T (for tank driver) or Mechanic.
cool , i said there was a deferent. you know your stuff. thanks again :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread