What's new

Some sort of microscope?

jeepdigger

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this in an old barn in IL. i would love to find out exactly what it is and possible date and usage
 

Attachments

  • micro 1.webp
    micro 1.webp
    109.1 KB · Views: 313
  • micro 2.webp
    micro 2.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 329
  • micro 4.webp
    micro 4.webp
    119.5 KB · Views: 304
Looks like a surgical microscope of some kind. If forced to guess I would say maybe 70? yrs old. That Co. goes way back into the 1800's though so could be older. It might be really useful if cleaned up. A good tool to help when cleaning and id'ing relics!
!
 
Upvote 0
Binocular microscope, tool or specimen type.. Nice find.
What is on the label..
Correction, it is a stereo microscope..
 
Upvote 0
Great find!!

Sorry I can't help with a precise I.D. of what that piece was used for but, when 35mm Leica cameras came on the scene
in the 1920's, Ernst Leitz in Wetzlar, Germany made the finest precision optics (still does) in the world. . . there are collectors
out there that will still buy anything associated with his name.

Neat find!
 
Upvote 0
I'm think it is one of the many forms of old antique telescopes.

Similar to this:
 

Attachments

  • telescope.webp
    telescope.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0
After looking at dozens of old museum collections for microscopes or binoculars from Leitz, I think I found it. A Binocular Stereo Magnifier

This link is from the Harvard University, click on the picture for a closer view and you should see the similarity. It's just mounted on a different base.

1925 Leitz Magnifier

And this one from 1938 on a regular microscope stand. http://www.geocities.com/yoheisuzukawa/leicant/leicant12.htm
 
Upvote 0
Also known as a stereo-scope.....NGE
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom