What's new

Some sort of tube?

ALAMOTX

Full Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found near a 1878 house.

It reminds me of the old vaccum tubes from the tube radios ???

Any help is appreciated! :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • m 009.webp
    m 009.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 259
  • m 010.webp
    m 010.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 249
  • m 011.webp
    m 011.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 242
I take it, that's a lens I see at the pointy end ;D
- and are they two long solder marks I see around the middle ?

I am going to make a WAG that, it is the 'remains' of an old mechanics timing light.
Along the lines of this:-
timing light.vintage.webp
http://tinyurl.com/y27nlru

Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I take it, that's a lens I see at the pointy end ;D
- and are they two long solder marks I see around the middle ?

I am going to make a WAG that, it is the 'remains' of an old mechanics timing light.
Along the lines of this:-


http://tinyurl.com/y27nlru

Mike

That is a great guess Mike. :thumbsup: Very well could be.
 
Upvote 0
Possibly a tractor "initiator". Before we had sophisticated voltage regulators and alternators a small current draw had to be kept in the field of a generator to get the polarity right to energize the circuits and charge the battery. A spinning motor doesn't know which way the polarity goes and this was a method of making sure you were charging the battery with the proper field input.

I'm not describing the electronics well, but that is what I believe the part might be. The little light showed the circuit was working and also set the field in the proper polarity.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom