Some sweet finds today, well, for me anyways! ;)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Bought my box of pennies today. Went through them, found lots of the new Lincoln pennies. I know they aren't worth anything, but I save them. ;)

Found 4 Canadian pennies (1973, 1978, 1987-2) and for Wheaties (my favorite, besides the Merc Dimes), I found one that I can't read the date. It looks like 1914 or 1916. Can't tell ... but it looks like an 's' mint mark. There is a mint mark, just really can't make it out. I blew up the photo to see and that is what I assume is there, both for the date and mint mark.

Also found for Wheaties: 1936, 1938, 1941, 1944-2, 1944S, 1945, 1946, 1950, 1951, 1953D, 1955D-2, 1956, 1956D, 1957D-3.

Then the bookkeeper wanted to know why these nickels were in a small roll. I look, kinda' puzzled too, then read and said, 'Alright, UNCIRCULATED!' I only bought 6 bucks worth today, that's all the money I had on me. So tomorrow I'll buy the other $23.75 worth still locked up! I didn't notice till I got home, but two of the rolls I have now are Denver Mint, the others are Philadelphia. I'll find out tomorrow if there are more Denver. I have to divide my collection up between my kids (3)! LOL! Oh, they are 2006.

And...this past week, I stopped at the coin shop to get some coin pages to put my coins in and saw some stuff I want to buy, more of novelty stuff (like the dollar coin size of the Lincoln Penny). He has three and I'll go back this week to get them. I like them! ;) But he had some old bills and I asked how much he was going to sell them for. He said a couple of bucks. I said ok and that I will check back later. He said they were in pretty bad shape, not worth much. I told him I didn't care, that I would be back to get 3 of them for each of my kids. He went over to them and was going through them, then he put 3 in my bag and I said, "No, I wasn't going to get them today." He said, "I'm giving them to you." What a sweetie! They are in bad shape, very fragile, all dated July 21, 1862....but they are cool to me! ;)

Oh, I'm really tempted to open these rolls up, I want to look through them. By doing so, will it take away their value? I want to put them in their own separate holders (cause I want to check for errs!) And as you will see on the pics...why are there groves (scratches on them)? I know they aren't proofs, but even uncirculated, should they be marked up like that?

Thanks for looking!
Annmarie

Attachments

• coin box 1b.jpg
    coin box 1b.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 346
  • coin box 2b.jpg
    coin box 2b.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 350
  • unc nickels 1c.jpg
    unc nickels 1c.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 348
  • unc nickels 2b.jpg
    unc nickels 2b.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4147d.jpg
    IMG_4147d.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 345

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lines on the nickels are from when the machine does the roll of paper on the end.

Looking at that old cent made me cross eyed, looked like a 14-D a couple times. :icon_scratch: Best guess on it would be 1912-D, pretty worn but a cool find none the less. :icon_thumright:

Kudos to your dealer for helping to get your kids involved in a great hobby. :thumbsup:

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I dig those treasury notes quite a bit! Always fun digging through a pile of pennies!

Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread