What's new

Some Texas Urchin fossils

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
Austin T.X.
This is my 1st post,so Hello & I hope this works..lol
IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg


I found this one under a middin while diggin for artifacts.
IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

this was found under there too...I think I dug into a old creek bed.
IMG_3615.jpg


This one is the largest that I have found at spot.Man was I pumped when I first spoted it.The largest Urchins from that spot is like quarter size.....
IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

My heart sank when I got it home ,and while brushing it off...I broke clean in 1/2....But a small drop of superglue did the trick..
IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

Thanx for lookin....This forum is sweet btw...
 
Welcome, thanks for posting the pic's.

Fossis.............
 
Thank you...If I am not diggin arrowhead,I am fossil huntin.Sometimes I can do both at the same spot.Geo
 
I found this Naught. in the midden,not under it this time.I think that Those Who Came Before Us HAD to see that Texas fossils were once living critters.What do ya'll think?
IMG_3650.jpg

Here is another from the same site.
IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg
 
Nice finds, must be nice to just be walking along & find something like that! :thumbsup:
 
Most of the time it is....But there are BAZILLIONS of fossils here,I now have to be slective about what I bring home.My wife has been gettin on me lol....

I could not find much when I lived in Baltimore,but once I moved to Texas,everything changed..har....
If there is anyone near Austin that wants to go look for some fossils,P.M. me...I can show ya some good spots..Geo
 
Hey Geo, I thought I recognized some of those fossils, I know you from the austindiggers board...did you ever get to dig Chrisner's?
 
No not yet ....Kinda far from the base-camp..ifin ya know what I mean..lol
I was wonderin if I would see any friends over here.
Good luck & keep lookin down gang....Geo
 
Glad you made it over here...
The powers that be have decided to change my work schedule again, so I won't be able to make any more weekend hunts...but that means that maybe I can get to do some in the middle of the week when there isn't so many people trying to dig in the same spot...some perks...
 
I hear ya...I am gonna try to hit the sunshine in the A.M..
 
My guesses are:

The urchin with the widely placed tubercles (bumps) maybe a Loriolia. The smoother urchins with small bumps is a Holectypus. The heavy ribbed ammonite maybe an Oxytropidoceras but not 100% as there is a very similar one with a different first name (genus) assigned to it.

The age is Lower Cretaceous, possibly all out of the Glen Rose formation or just above.

If Glen Rose formation it's worth all the gas money you can spare to find the SALENIA ZONE but I personally don't know where it sits in the Austin area.
 
Thanx so much for the I.D.'s....they are tough to nail sometimes.I have some of the heart shaped ones too.Geo
 
must be nice to have a place to dig for artifacts.i know of many pay digs.i just cant afford them right now.i have to stick to the beaches around here.if your ever in the rockport area look me up.
 

Attachments

  • Copy of DSC04220.webp
    Copy of DSC04220.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 810
  • DSC00402.webp
    DSC00402.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 672
  • Copy of DSC04220.webp
    Copy of DSC04220.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC00402.webp
    DSC00402.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 668
Very nice! I have found similar ones up in North Texas....Keep it up!
HH
Baggins
 
when ya going to let me dig a midden with ya?have flint will travel
 
Very nice, Thanks for sharing....I love to get to the hill country, and hunt...........
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom