Something cool inside pa stoneware jug I got for Christmas?

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, so my girlfriend got me a salt glazed (I think) stoneware jug for Christmas because it is marked with my hometown and she knows I love antiques and local history. It was a Great gift that I was thrilled to receive but tonight as I was admiring it I figured I would shine a light inside to see what it looked like and I was surprised to see writing and and some sort of dried out leaves or stems. I soon realized that it appears to be a postcard of some sort and what I think are flowers. So my questions are as follows. How old is this jug? What would the value be? What would it have been used for? Then how old is the postcard? Do you think the other thing is flowers of some kind? Cool or no? Lol sorry for so many questions but They are all on my mind and I know the folks here are as knowledgeable as can be and will surly be glad to help. Thanks in advance and merry Christmas! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482822649.574312.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482822675.538142.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482822738.835014.jpg

Upvote 10

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool jug, love the glaze. I wish I could answer some of your questions. It is not a salt glazed piece, just typical glaze for around the turn of the century. It looks like it held whisky. Merry Christmas to you! I hope there is some old money in with the postcards!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see "The American Flag", June.... in writing along with postage and address. Definately postcard, what is the blobs on the card? Is that the leaves your referring too?

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes flowers was my best guess but I really have no idea

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure would be nice to see the card...does it move around in the jug or is it stuck to the bottom? If you can turn it upside down maybe you could ease it out with some long needle nose pliers...Great gift in a gift

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's stuck to the bottom. I'm sure I could flip it over with some persistence but I don't know if I should yet. It's kind of cool just how it is plus I'm scared I might damage the card or worse the jug.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your curiosity winds up overwhelming you and your willing to sacrifice some damage to the card seeing as how it's much larger than the small jug mouth, than I have a suggestion. Go to an auto parts store and buy a mechanical fingers, used for retrieving dropped nuts, bolts, and washers from tight crevices. Their a foot or a little longer and have a thumb activated plunger at the top that when pushed opens up a small set of jaws at the bottom and they're flexible. Stick them down the jug mouth and grab unto card edge pulling it out of jug.

macro racer 2, Whites mx5, trx pinpointer

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a very nice Christmas present with a mystery...very cool!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their a foot or a little longer and have a thumb activated plunger at the top that when pushed opens up a small set of jaws at the bottom and they're flexible. Stick them down the jug mouth and grab unto card edge pulling it out of jug.

macro racer 2, Whites mx5, trx pinpointer

The are also excellent for retrieving rubber grommets from the inside of coolant overflow jugs. One of my favorite tools.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as age your jug dates around the turn of the last century. Value; probably not much really as it would appeal mostly to local collectors. However if a local collector needs that particular piece for his collection that can influence value, but given that is not cobalt blue script and is stenciled lettering without any decorations I'd guess on a good day $75-125 depending upon condition.It likely contained maybe molasses or maybe lye and they were reused . Actually you are correct in that it is salt glazed. The paper in the bottom ...anyone's guess.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help you out with a age or a value. Seeing your girlfriend got it for you and it's from your hometown, priceless.
I like the old stoneware jugs and crocks myself. I'm from Scranton but, have none from there. Do have a couple milk bottles embossed Scranton.
Congrats on a Sweet jug!!

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice, for drink a hot chocolate

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013