Something used for printing?

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad and I were out in the middle of nowhere when we spotted a barn back in some woods. After obtaining permission from the farmer across the road to take a look, we went to go find the house that must have once stood there. Unfortunately, there was no sign of a home at all! We decided to take a look around anyway, just in case. In a small "trail" type of area between two large clearings we got a clear signal - penny, 8+ inches deep. Not quite a penny when we brought it up, but it sure is neat! Take a look...anyone know what this thing might be? It's made of lead...very heavy, found almost all of the pieces. I do have two of the smaller pieces that are missing in the pic. everything on it is backward, so my first thought was something to do with newspaper printing...but why would something like that be there? Let me know what you guys think ???

--I have more pics as well if anyone would like to see them. The ones posted are about 25% of the original size.

Attachments

• Stamp Top_sm.jpg
    Stamp Top_sm.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Stamp Top_sm_rev.jpg
    Stamp Top_sm_rev.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 446
  • Stamp_sm(3).jpg
    Stamp_sm(3).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 440

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cool Find and thats exactly what it is. Maybe the location wasnt far from town in the early days...research a little and see who the owner of the property was. Maybe they or someone they knew worked for the newspaper.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Staci (Fargo ND)

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat...thanks gypsyheart. What would this be called then? I'm also wondering why it's so small...about 6" tall by 4-5" wide. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
I think its called a printers plate or typeset ...
Yep, ad for mens western (Sorry the ad says)boots shirts.....Looking at it under negative effect it reads shirts ....sorry Im so confusing ....need more caffiene......Very cool Probably 1800's

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Staci (Fargo ND) said:
very heavy, found almost all of the pieces. everything on it is backwards, so my first thought was something to do with newspaper printing...but why would something like that be there, 45 minutes from any town? Let me know what you guys think ???

It looks like it was made for an advertisement. My guess would be a magazine or flyer/poster, rather than a newspaper. Unless the newspaper was a major publication that would take a lot of time and work to invest in something that would only be used for one run. Try to find the rest of the pieces so you can determine the product being advertised.

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early newspaper copy was poured from lead to make the printable form. That form was placed in a press and was inked and a paper copy was made. This process was used up untill the early 1970's by small country newspapers who printed weekly editions. It is called a printers block. Cast lead on wood. Hope I made this understandable.
DG

Upvote 0

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
it says "the roomiest,best fitting, best looking shirt for work or play"

had to be an ad in a magazine or something

Upvote 0
D

Diggerbryan

Cool find!! Just a thought, you might try dabbing it in some ink and pressing it on to some paper. It might be kind of tricky with the smaller pieces but I would definitely try it with the larger piece.

Upvote 0

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
I also found a printers plate, and I also found it in North Dakota
this summer, about a hundred miles southwest of Fargo. If I can
remember how to do pictures on this forum I will add it to this
post. My brother used to run a lineotype machine for the newspaper
in the small town that I found this one in and he said they would
attach these pieces of lead to a wood block and set them in with the
rest of the newspaper print. This one appears to be an advertisement
for some kind of kidney and liver balm. I have'nt cleaned it up enough
to read the small print.

Attachments

• scan996.jpg
    scan996.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
MonDak said:
This one appears to be an advertisement for some kind of kidney and liver balm. I have'nt cleaned it up enough to read the small print.

It's probably an ad for Dr. J. H. McLean's Liver & Kidney Balm. McLean was a major manufacturer of patent medicines in the mid to late 1800's, and his St. Louis factory cranked out huge quantities not only of liver & kidney balm but also Dr. J.H. McLean's Celebrated Strengthening Cordial and Blood Purifier (85-100 proof alcohol), Celebrated Catarrh Snuff, Volcanic Oil Liniment (crude petroleum), and Candy Vermifuge (anti-worm medicine).

Attachments

• McLjpg.jpg
    McLjpg.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Oooh, I like that printers plate Staci! Some of the old items related to old hokey "cures" are highly collectable. I hope this is the case with your item. Nice finds!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread