Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I went to my favorite park a few days ago. I have hit this place, close to 100 times in 3 seasons. Over 150 silver coins have been found by me. Not including my old hunting partner's finds. This place is awsome, or was. Yes, it is hard to squeeze out the good signals now. But this place is my home turf. I know the soil and feel at home. So it is always a good place to try to push you skills. Always something left, rite?

Anyways on to the signal.
Most notable was the high pitch tone. Which seemed to stay the same regardless of frequency change. Even in 4 hrz it was that high pitch sound. It was very quiet, just above the ocational sputter volume of the detector. Almost like a deep iron signal too, but very clean with little iron crackle. It was repeatable in all directions. I ended up digging a canadian 1920 ten cent. Messured at just over 9" to the top of the soil, with the garret carrot. Then I get the same, exact sounding signal, maybe 2 feet beside it. At the same depth,I pull a 1912 silver 5 cent.

What was different for me was the high pitch, clean sound, regardless of frequency change. I wanted to share this, as it may be helpful. Anyone else have this happen?

11" coil
Settings
Reactivity 2 silencer -1
Full tones
Disc 0
Tried all frequencies
Sensitivity 90
TX 3
Audio response 2
Head phone volume 5

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, with almost the same settings as well (my A.R. is at 4), but not in 18 kHz, 18 just doesn't have the depth in my soil (mild). My VDI #'s are always 97-98 as well on the deep silver, numbers I use to notch, but no more especially in clean sites and fields.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those deep silver or copper targets will give a high tone - sometimes without VDI. Dug a piece of aluminum "play money" which is almost the same diameter as a fish scale at 7" a few weeks back. There was no VDI, only the sweet sound of a mid-to-high conducting target!

I use the same settings as your program except the freq - I use 4 kHz for trashy areas since it seems to help identify aluminum ring tabs and rectangular tabs. Still end up digging many pieces of aluminum, but often there will be coins a little deeper than the lighter-weight trash. 4 kHz for me contrasts copper and silver targets better, especially when 5" or deeper in this mineralized soil

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to my favorite park a few days ago. I have hit this place, close to 100 times in 3 seasons. Over 150 silver coins have been found by me. Not including my old hunting partner's finds. This place is awsome, or was. Yes, it is hard to squeeze out the good signals now. But this place is my home turf. I know the soil and feel at home. So it is always a good place to try to push you skills. Always something left, rite?

Anyways on to the signal.
Most notable was the high pitch tone. Which seemed to stay the same regardless of frequency change. Even in 4 hrz it was that high pitch sound. It was very quiet, just above the ocational sputter volume of the detector. Almost like a deep iron signal too, but very clean with little iron crackle. It was repeatable in all directions. I ended up digging a canadian 1920 ten cent. Messured at just over 9" to the top of the soil, with the garret carrot. Then I get the same, exact sounding signal, maybe 2 feet beside it. At the same depth,I pull a 1912 silver 5 cent.

What was different for me was the high pitch, clean sound, regardless of frequency change. I wanted to share this, as it may be helpful. Anyone else have this happen?

11" coil
Settings
Reactivity 2 silencer -1
Full tones
Disc 0
Tried all frequencies
Sensitivity 90
TX 3
Audio response 2
Head phone volume 5

Yep!! You will never forget that sound now.. lol. If you turn your AR up to say 5 you hear even deeper targets, headphones up 6 or 7..
Great to have that Ah ha moment.
George.
Ps thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
metaljunkie

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep!! You will never forget that sound now.. lol. If you turn your AR up to say 5 you hear even deeper targets, headphones up 6 or 7..
Great to have that Ah ha moment.
George.
Not sure if I can tolerate my headphones louder than 5. Shallow targets at, 6 seem to almost hurt my ears. I do have extremely good hearing though. I seem to hear sounds most people can't. Buzzes of lights and other subtle high frequency tones. Audio response, I could raise though and give a try. Although I am very accustomed, to listen for the quiet tones among the loudness of shallow/newer targets.
I will play with AR, when I find my next deep suspect silver.
Thanks George!

OP
OP
metaljunkie

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One question... if you have AR on its max setting, will targets just on the edge of detection be as loud as med/shallow targets. Or does the deep signal keep the proportional audio, still being quiet or subtle.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One question... if you have AR on its max setting, will targets just on the edge of detection be as loud as med/shallow targets. Or does the deep signal keep the proportional audio, still being quiet or subtle.

They stay proportional, just lets you hear the wispers a little better..
The audio will always win..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm not a Deus user, but just wanted to say I loved your play-by-play of the "deep silver" sound quest :) There's some sort of "sport-within-itself", to get those "oh so deep whispers" that others (or yourself) has missed in the past. Kind of like bass fishing where the challenge is to "out-smart the wiley crafty smart lunker bass" into taking your lure. So too is the sport of trying to sniff out the deeper coins hiding amidst iron and surface junk in turf :)

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So those "whispers" I hear every now-and-then are just the "voices" coming back to haunt me again? Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post and info here....

You used 12 kHz with Reactivity = 2 and pulled not one but two 9" deep coins. I'm going back to my "deep coin park" tonight if it isn't raining and I will try 12 kHz - in my air testing 12 kHz is still the hottest frequency - maybe I can niggle out a few more deeper keepers before it's over.

I was pulling 7-8" Indian cents, V nickels, and silver dimes using 4 kHz and Reactivity = 1. There just has to be coins hiding in the depths - and I dig a lot of trash that sounds identical to those deep coins. It's the only way to be sure!

OP
OP
metaljunkie

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post and info here....

You used 12 kHz with Reactivity = 2 and pulled not one but two 9" deep coins. I'm going back to my "deep coin park" tonight if it isn't raining and I will try 12 kHz - in my air testing 12 kHz is still the hottest frequency - maybe I can niggle out a few more deeper keepers before it's over.

I was pulling 7-8" Indian cents, V nickels, and silver dimes using 4 kHz and Reactivity = 1. There just has to be coins hiding in the depths - and I dig a lot of trash that sounds identical to those deep coins. It's the only way to be sure!

I usually find 8 HRZ to be the best for deep silver. Just seems to hit a little harder than the rest. But yeah, at those depths and settings, good targets are subtle. So concentrate on the extremely quiet high tone sounds. Which can be just above the volume of the background chatter. If they end up being repeatable, dig of course. Also if only repeatable in one direction. Unless when swinging in the other direction you get iron sound. Any other sound, i dig. I have found a few coins on edge this way. Both vertical and 45 degree positions. Near or on the side of the hole. So careful when you dig. It may still be silver...

Yeah I know what you mean about digging trash. Small foil sometimes can sound like a digable target. Or our brain makes us hear a dig able target. Dam brain, be good or I'll jam a q-tip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread