What's new

Spain/Portugal

Tuga

Greenie
Joined
Oct 7, 2025
Messages
13
Reaction score
37
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lisbon, Portugal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there!

Anyone from Spain or Portugal want to connect to share tips/spots etc.? Specially interested in prospecting (since metal detecting is so restricted) but visiting abandoned sites also an interest.

Cheers and good hunting.
 
Hey, I've always been curious about the metal detecting laws in Spain/Portugal, are you allowed to detect on private property? I have read quite a bit about the peninsular campaign and would suspect that relic hunting would be similar to what it is like here in the states when we civil war hunt. What sort of restrictions are placed on you?
 
Hey, I've always been curious about the metal detecting laws in Spain/Portugal, are you allowed to detect on private property? I have read quite a bit about the peninsular campaign and would suspect that relic hunting would be similar to what it is like here in the states when we civil war hunt. What sort of restrictions are placed on you?
Hello!

So I will try to explain to the best of my ability and knowledge the laws and current interpretations (but bear in mind I am not a lawyer and there very confusing)

Regarding Spain: The use of metal detectors is regulated by the community (something akin to a State in the States but with less autonomy), in some it's totally forbidden, in others it's tolerated in very specific areas but usually after getting a permission and often the process to get them is quite obscure when not totally hidden. In any case, detecting near or sort of near known archeological or historical sites is always forbidden (they're pretty much everywhere as they are incredibly rich countries in History) and any items found over 100 yo anywhere must be turned over and even the posession is potentially problematic as any items of historical relevance are automatically property of the state, as they are considered part of the collective patrimony (looting used to be quite common and many sites have been documented to be destroyed over the years). In private property I believe there is no restriction but you must not be looking for historical items, only to stumble upon them and it's not guaranteed you won't have problems.

Portugal: Even more restricted, while selling metal detectors isn't illegal and you can buy one and have it in your house, even getting caught travelling or outside without a permit (which are never never granted unless for certified surveys) is an infraction and potentially resulting in a heavy fine.

The reasons for the "strictness" I believe are that both governments do not have the funds and resources to enact something like PAS in the UK, the trauma from past looting and destruction of historical sites (there are so many that you may accidentally disturb let's say a Iron Age site, a roman burial ground etc) and the conception that historical patrimony must be studied and protected and cannot be alienated from society at large.
 
Thank you for such an informative response. I wish we had a PAS like the UK in the states, though for the most part what we find doesn't have the value of many of the items found in Europe as we are frankly a baby as civilizations go. As a side note my mother's side of the family came from Portugal. My Grandfather/mother and 10 of my Uncles and Aunts came over to America from Vale Maior. I have never been there but my sister has. I got to visit Lisbon for four days while I was in the Navy, had a great time.
 
Thank you for such an informative response. I wish we had a PAS like the UK in the states, though for the most part what we find doesn't have the value of many of the items found in Europe as we are frankly a baby as civilizations go. As a side note my mother's side of the family came from Portugal. My Grandfather/mother and 10 of my Uncles and Aunts came over to America from Vale Maior. I have never been there but my sister has. I got to visit Lisbon for four days while I was in the Navy, had a great time.

My pleasure!

Yeah, there are differences to the States in the sense of how old items can be, but also to the way ancient and antique cultural items are constitutionally enshrined. Which makes sense if we consider also that while "our" countries are much older, your constitution is in fact older and these aspects were still not considered in the 18th century, both Portugal and Spain had their present constitution written around the 80's once the dictatorships were over (both countries fascist dictatorships finished around the same time). Personally I wished that it was allowed and much less restricted here, but I can understand that it's a complex issue and since people who want to metal detect are a minority there is hardly a push for change.

Oh interesting! I am from Lisbon, glad you visited. It's a lovely city, lots of History.
Never been to Vale Maior but know the surrounding area, it's beautiful both nature wise and cultural wise. In rural areas you can feel yourself going back hundreds of years (if you ignore cars and tv's haha), it's a pretty old school area. You should visit if given the chance. definitely recommend.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom