✅ SOLVED Spanish/Mexican Gun Flint From Arizona?

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in the desert near my home several ago when I lived just to the south of Tucson, Arizona. I always thought it might be an old gun flint, and Tucson is one of the oldest towns in Arizona, founded back in 1775 or so by the Spanish, and there was lots of fighting with Indians here back in colonial times. Anyway, my old house is along the Santa Cruz River, which runs north through Tucson and then some. Upriver, to the South, are other old Spanish towns and so forth, such as Tubac and Tumacacori. All that said, this thing was found where there used to be old trails and later a wagon road, running in between the Spanish settlements along the river, and as I said above, not far south of Tucson. And if you look at the top right corner of the stone, in the first photo, it was more squared when I originally found it, but at some point I dropped it on my tile floor and a little chunk came off there. The bottom is nice and flat and you can see near the supposed striking end, those rounded cracks that appear when the stone has been struck by something else, and I think they would be consistent with a strike in a downward motion, like from a gun flint hammer, or whatever that thing is called.

DSC04082.jpg DSC04080.jpg DSC04083.jpg DSC04087.jpg DSC04091.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gun flint, yes. The shape is British (or French) and Bess (Long Land Pattern) size. Which would be consistent with what the Mexicans used in the late 18th and early 19th Century. (Remember the Alamo!)

flints_1.jpg

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a well used gun Flint

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I dont know about era or anything, I just assumed Spanish or Mexican, or simply pre-American (1853), although it could have been from the very first American settlers in Arizona, since they still used muskets and so forth a lot back then. Its probably a long shot, but I think theres a chance it could have been from the Mexican Army, which hastily retreated from Tucson south to Tubac in 1846 or so, when the Mormon Battalion took control of the town.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree with Charlie.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note that I still use identical flints to hunt deer and grouse with my flintlocks. Flint is all ancient whether used in the last 60 years or 60,000 years by humans.

Where it is found is more important than what it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note that I still use identical flints to hunt deer and grouse with my flintlocks. Flint is all ancient whether used in the last 60 years or 60,000 years by humans.

Where it is found is more important than what it is.

Definitely, Im always reminding people to write it down, so they always remember where their stuff was found. Thats where the real history is at. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions