Spanish Silver

soky72

Jan 30, 2011
Southern Kentucky
This was brought into the local historical society by a detectorist here in southern Ky. Is this a Spanish Reale or Piece of Eight? I thought the hole may have been made so it could be worn as jewelry but I was told sometimes coins were sewn into clothing and that might account for the hole. Im sure most of you can probably ID the coin but I am also curious about the hole.

Attachments

• Spanish1.JPG
    Spanish1.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 542
  • Spanish2.JPG
    Spanish2.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
It could be true on both ideas! Sewn into the clothing, or worn as jewelery. Pretty nice find for a detectorist! 8)

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin.. it is a 2 Reales (Its about the size of a US half-dollar ?) the 2 R on the reverse indicates denomination I believe.....As for the hole it is hard to say when/why it was made in the coin..HHunting..

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
yup a 2 reale but i thought they were closer to a quarter in size and i bet most holed coins that line up the front with date perfectly up right at the bottom like yours were to signify or commemorate an event that happened within that particular year ( wedding , or death of a loved one , birth of a child , or something even more significant , ect ).

OP
OP
S

soky72

Jan 30, 2011
Southern Kentucky
Prairie Prowler said:
Nice coin.. it is a 2 Reales (Its about the size of a US half-dollar ?) the 2 R on the reverse indicates denomination I believe.....As for the hole it is hard to say when/why it was made in the coin..HHunting..

I don't have it with me but I would say definitely bigger than a quarter but slightly smaller than a half dollar.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
nice coin!!! I found a 1773 reale today as well.

OP
OP
S

soky72

Jan 30, 2011
Southern Kentucky
I didnt find it but it was found by a metal detectorist. It was brought into our local historical society and I told them I could get some information about it here and I certainly did. This forum is a wealth of information. You could post a screw off an obscure firearm and someone here would be able to ID it for you so I knew this coin would be cake.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think slice of pizza when picturing a piece of eight.
Either way, real nice find.
Carl

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
1774 2 reale mexico city mint --in the year 1774 the F M assyer would be antino forcada * -- it is 2 reales or 2 bits ( equal to a american quarter dollar at the later 8 reales = 1 us dollar ratio ) while a bit larger in size than a quarter -- it tended to be a bit thinner--so overall weight and silver purity were similar (90%) to a quarter dollar coin -- us money was based off the spanish 8 reale coin * as well as it purity standard (90%) pure silver -- 2 bits or reales was a "quarter dollars" --4 bits a "half dollar" -- 1 real stated out as 12 1/2 cents but or time became a dicme or 1 /10th -- now called a dime -- half dimes were also used -- later when nickle was swapped out for silver these half dimes were called "nickles" because they lacked silver and were made of "nickle"--cents (not penny) was the 1 /100th part of a dollar -- the 100 cents per dollar system was used to clearly break with the british fiscal system of 240 penny to the pound sterling standard to establish our "own" money standard as a "independant nation"

the american dollar sign $ is based on the two pillars of hercules upon the spanish 8 reale coin

OP
OP
S

soky72

Jan 30, 2011
Southern Kentucky
ivan salis said:
1774 2 reale mexico city mint --in the year 1774 the F M assyer would be antino forcada * -- it is 2 reales or 2 bits ( equal to a american quarter dollar at the later 8 reales = 1 us dollar ratio ) while a bit larger in size than a quarter -- it tended to be a bit thinner--so overall weight and silver purity were similar (90%) to a quarter dollar coin -- us money was based off the spanish 8 reale coin * as well as it purity standard (90%) pure silver -- 2 bits or reales was a "quarter dollars" --4 bits a "half dollar" -- 1 real stated out as 12 1/2 cents but or time became a dicme or 1 /10th -- now called a dime -- half dimes were also used -- later when nickle was swapped out for silver these half dimes were called "nickles" because they lacked silver and were made of "nickle"--cents (not penny) was the 1 /100th part of a dollar -- the 100 cents per dollar system was used to clearly break with the british fiscal system of 240 penny to the pound sterling standard to establish our "own" money standard as a "independant nation"

the american dollar sign $ is based on the two pillars of hercules upon the spanish 8 reale coin

Excellent info, the local historical society will be pleased to hear it.

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Indians also used to love to wear shiney ittems like that aswel,they would take them in trade or get them somehow. They would put a hole in it and wear them. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions