What's new

Spikes? Farm Implements?

Warrington

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2021
Messages
28
Reaction score
33
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attached is a picture of several of about 10 "spikes" I have found in an 8 square foot area of a colonial era farm (continued farming until 1920 +/-). I have never seen anything similar in building construction. Most of the buildings on the property are of an age to be mortise and tenon, and these were at least 40 feet from the nearest known building. No wood like debris was found near them. I noted they were "sharpened" by being cut at a bevel. The heads appear to be peened over, but not as if they were hit directly on center. Length is approximately 9", but they do vary slightly.

It has been suggested that they are 'teeth" for a harrow. That could very well be. I was sent a picture of some. There is one very similar to the picture sent kicking around on the property somewhere, but I haven't seen it lately. In any case the picture sent does not match what I have pictured. Any other guesses?

dig spike heads.webp dig.webp
dig spike point.webp
 
Last edited:
looks like the remains of a spiked tooth harrow , they are bent from hitting roots and rocks while in use .horse-drawn-spike-tooth-cultivator_1_17be02e962b98b91409f0e50181e8070.webp
 
Upvote 0
They have heads and appear to have been hammered? Probably smith made.
 
Upvote 0
I have a spring toothed harrow with a single row of spikes on the rear. Mine are round vs the pictures square shanks. Square are found more on spike toothed drags than spring toothed drags. Per my opinion.
Adjustable up or down , mostly down as they wear.
Wear does create a single bevel.
The "heads" to keep them from sliding through the clamps if the come loose don't show in this picture.
The worst worn I just dropped a piece of cold rolled in the clamp to replace. No head on the round stock. But priced cheap....

OIP.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom