OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Treasure, thank you for the compliments. However, I have to respond to the grave robbing statement. That is a term that has been thrown around as anti-collector propaganda for far too long and makes assumptions that are absolutely untrue. The pottery you speak of is mimbres (incredibly rare) and was dug in legal excavations many many years ago. The mimbres pottery is on loan to the museum from the University of Arkansas, where it was put on the back shelves for many years. Painstaking efforts have went into making sure that all of the items in the museum are legal, this includes getting permission from the current native nations where applicable, etc.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the displays, I encourage you to check it out in person sometime. Many of the items displayed have not been made available to the public before. The museum is set up around the premise to educate people on the native aboriginals and the artifacts they left. It is absolutely free to the public and caters to any size group.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Treasure, you are right about mimbres often being associated with burials. However you should be made aware of the fact that a large majority of items in museums are. Having taken archaeology course, I'm sure you're aware that many museums are often the direct results of legal excavations in burials or mound groups? There is a HUGE list (Spiro, Cahokia, Dickson, Parkin, Etowah, Grave Creek, etc, etc) of mound sites with museums due to the excavations. There have been some museums established directly over the excavated burial mounds themselves, like Kolomoki. Then there are other museums who are focused primarily around a cultural group instead of site like (Deming Luna Mimbres Museum in NM).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning anyone digging in cemetaries or graves. Any excavations should be left up to qualified individuals and in professional environments. Studying relics and people (yes, this included bones) of the past is how we learn. You're right about the stigma involved with the study of remains nowadays, but think of how important some have been. Just think of the Kennewick man debacle. The Kennewick man is one of the most important finds in recent years and there are people that would love nothing better than to see him completely shoved under the rug.

I appreciate your comments TT :-) I'll try to get more photos up soon. The images are just some I took offhand, the original site to the museum is http://www.museumofnativeamericanartifacts.org. The show was a blast! They have them all over the country. If you check, I'm sure there are some even near you. The collinsville, Illinois show is this weekend, but I wasn't able to attend. I think the next big one will be the AACA expo in Ky. Talk to you later!

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
Matt and TT. My hats off to both of you and your post. That is the way a forum should be .Both posts completely on point and respectful. Keep them coming guys.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Imagine if Howard Carter felt that way about Tutankhamen's tomb, or Johansen felt that way about Lucy's bones, we'd still be in the dark about alot of things. What if the Leakey family had never been in Olduvai Gorge? The most important Archaeological discoveries have been from the study of remains and items associated with them. Think of our history books without this...it would be pretty empty.

The Kennewick man could have easily turned into a travesty, with information lost. Unfortunately this isn't an isolated occurance, and happens more frequently than we'd like to admit.

For the record, there's nothing at all wrong with being sentimental :-)

I'm off to see the wizard. Talk to you later, have a great weekend!

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As Carter stuck his head into that hole he was asked " Do you see anything?"
his reply "Yes, wonderful things" I know exactly how he felt everytime I pick up a point or dig up a minie' ball. And I hope I never get over it. Great show wish I had been there...d2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread