What's new

Square Brass Whatzit

Ohio Jerry

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
842
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro
Found at a cellar hole site close to an 1828 Large Cent. It is brass and one and half inches square. My first thought was maybe a cap to an ink well? It has the remant of a hinge on one side and a small threaded hole on the opposite side of the center hole. Thanks in advance for any input on this one,
Jerry
 

Attachments

  • square1.webp
    square1.webp
    7 KB · Views: 552
  • square2.webp
    square2.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 540
bigcypresshunter said:
I think Blacksheeps pic showing the single screw hole sealed the deal. I would hope one of those things wouldnt leak ink in the suitcase. :o What did they write with, a feather? http://www.historicamerica.org/quillhistory.html
I agree,Blacksheeps pic with the screw hole looks real close. Good question about what they wrote with. I imagined a fountain type pen but now you have me thinkin BCH ;D
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I think Blacksheeps pic showing the single screw hole sealed the deal. I would hope one of those things wouldnt leak ink in the suitcase. :o What did they write with, a feather? http://www.historicamerica.org/quillhistory.html
sounds like the best were flight feathers and i'm really surprised that maybe only 2-3 feathers would be suitable from a goose to make a quill pen ???
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom