Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to break away from football and the kids during their naps today for about an hour and a half to hit a site that I had pounded with both 7kHz and 14kHz last year. My 28kHz program found some awesome finds in a short time to start 2018 off the right way.

2018-01-01 21.29.45.jpg 2018-01-01 21.29.56 HDR.jpg 2018-01-01 21.30.14 HDR.jpg 2018-01-01 21.31.03 HDR.jpg 2018-01-01 21.30.59 HDR.jpg 2018-01-01 21.30.47 HDR.jpg 2018-01-01 21.30.42 HDR.jpg

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same results with 28kh the other day in a spot we hammered in 7kh and 14 kh... congrats on the finds . I will mess with the elliptical in high freq too and see what I come up with.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on a roll.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! :occasion14:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! That sucker is small!

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like seeing your success from using the new capabilities XP made available in 2017 (software and hardware updates).

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since using the 11" coil on my Deus v3.2 & really getting some great deep results, including tiny silver. Is it even worth me considering the 9" HF options & upgrading to V4.0?? If so, why?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since using the 11" coil on my Deus v3.2 & really getting some great deep results, including tiny silver. Is it even worth me considering the 9" HF options & upgrading to V4.0?? If so, why?

Here is a very brief rundown...

Regarding V 4.1 (now) and LF coils:

GB tracking has been significantly improved over V 3.2. If that is a GB mode you use often, then the upgrade itself is very worthwhile, especially, the latest update which adds a "ground sensitivity" setting that further improves tracking (and mitigates "over" tracking in highly mineralized ground and "loss of tracking" in low mineralized conditions such as pure white sand beaches. Apparently, the Deus GB tracking feature (the ground parameter that the Deus keys off of to automatically track ground phase) is ground mineralization index. Too frequent changes or wild swings in index which occurs in mineralized ground causes the Deus to "over track", too little mineralization changes such as what might occur on a white sand beach causes Deus to "undertrack" due to no changes in index. Since ground phase varies due to more than just changes in mineralization index this situation could cause the Deus to not track an actual ground phase reading. This new setting has seemed to breath new life into LF coils as folks running ver 4.0 and who have upgraded to 4.1 say their LF coils seem more responsive, especially when GB tracking.

Version 4.1 also improves the comms link with the MI6 pinpointer which with 4.0 has had glitchy comms and a tendency to cause coils to become disconnected from the controller requiring a the controller to be power cycled.

There are changes to the built-in detecting programs including one (Deep) that uses a different processing filter. It hasn't really caught on as a groundbreaking (pun intended) program.

Discrimination settings changed with 4.0/4.1 to open up the low end of discrimination with an even lower "negative" discrimination setting range (0 to -6.4). This lower range basically opens up finer discrimination control at the low end which makes it sensitive to even ceramic building materials that might be a tell tale sign of an old dwelling site.

Of course you need ver 4.0/4.1 to link up to the new hardware (HF 9" round coil, HF 9.5" elliptical coil (I call that one the laser pointer), and the wireless MI6 pinpointer.

Regarding the HF Coils:

If you are primarily after deep, high conductors, I wouldn't necessarily go to the HF coil. Both HF coils do great on deep silver (the 9" HF perhaps about as good as the 9" LF, since the HF coils can operate as low as 13 khz) but their forte is quiet operation (tend to be less EMI susceptible than the LF coils), great separation at the higher frequencies, and they hit REALLY hard on mid-conductors such as brass, small lead, hammered silver, and, of course, gold. They have been a boon to Deus detectorists that primarily are relic hunters because of these properties. That is because a lot of desirable relics, as you know, are mid-conductive buttons and small brass items. They also very good in thick iron due to their ability to separate small targets from iron at the higher frequencies. The sweet spot seems to be the 28.8 khz setting, but folks have had success at the higher 56 khz setting of the HF round coil and the 74+ khz setting of the elliptical coil.

Re: the MI6 pinpointer: An acquired taste for most. If you like it you really like it (like me). If you don't like it you hate it (opinion of many). It is probably a 50-50 proposition. The comms glitches have really turned people off. That issue seemed to be variable from user to user. I experienced it, but it did not happen as frequently to me and now I am used to it occasionally happening and just move on with life, primarily because I like the sensitivity and pitch mode of the pinpointer which works like a threshold detector and provides a lot more target recovery accuracy for me in the hole. It drives other people nuts and they have abandoned it. YMMV.

Note that I have not upgraded to 4.1 yet (I am running 4.0) but intend to do so soon.

HTH with making your decision.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IMO you would see a big improvement in general performance with either HF coil vs the LF coils. The LF coils are great and do get slightly deeper for clean easy high conductor targets. But the HF coils unmask at depths just slightly less than LF on clean targets. Bottom line is that you will immediately feel more power with the HF coils. Depending on how clean your soil is, the advantages of the HF coils over the LF coils could be much more if heavily contaminated with iron. But you will not regret investing in an HF coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions