Steele Peak

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dunno how many of you Southern California hounds have visited the old Good Hope gold mine off 74 west of Perris.

I was poking around there on GEP and saw a mine and a possible dig-out. The dig-out lies at the end of Steele Peak Drive, up the right-hand valley about a quarter-mile in. The mine lies almost directly east of Steele Peak itself. There is also what appears to be either a ventilation shaft or small pit mine about 300 feet south of that mine, directly atop the ridge of the mountain.

There's gold in there and all around those mountains, I'm sure of it. The Good Hope mine was one of the most productive SoCal mines of its time!

I'm definitely going to give this a shot if I can.

trsynsh

Oct 28, 2015
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I see what it is you're talking about. Less than an hour away from me, I'd be curious to see what all's up there. What's the property situation up there?

OP
OP
SoCalDesertFox

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I see what it is you're talking about. Less than an hour away from me, I'd be curious to see what all's up there. What's the property situation up there?

I don't know. APN searches don't reveal an owner, and most of the land is listed with a tax valuation of '00' with the exception of the Good Hope mine area itself which is like almost half a million dollars in tax valuation. Since most government-owned lands tend to have a tax valuation of '00' I would assume this is BLM land excepting the mine land itself, as I see plenty of news articles on BLM cleanup events held in the Steele Peak gun range to further back up those thoughts.

So all that's left to do is find a claims map of the area and figure it out from there.

OP
OP
SoCalDesertFox

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh, A combination of a couple of online resources has helped out a great deal. there is one active claim in the entire section I'd be wanting to go hunting on. It's called Oro del Diablo (Gold of the Devil) and it's location is immediately east of the rocky field area I would want to hunt.

So it looks like other than that, the entirety of Steele Peak is prime to check. I sorted through 990 known active claims. Pain to do, but had to be done to ensure I wasn't going to cause problems with my wandering and swinging a detector!

trsynsh

Oct 28, 2015
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, well that sounds fairly promising. I, too, came across information regarding a gun range. Will definitely have to wear some bright colors, etc., if I make it out there. Is the mine itself closed, do you know?

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno how many of you Southern California hounds have visited the old Good Hope gold mine off 74 west of Perris.

I was poking around there on GEP and saw a mine and a possible dig-out. The dig-out lies at the end of Steele Peak Drive, up the right-hand valley about a quarter-mile in. The mine lies almost directly east of Steele Peak itself. There is also what appears to be either a ventilation shaft or small pit mine about 300 feet south of that mine, directly atop the ridge of the mountain.

There's gold in there and all around those mountains, I'm sure of it. The Good Hope mine was one of the most productive SoCal mines of its time!

Hi Fox, The tailings from the Good Hope Mine run all along the west side of HWY 74 and you can see the colors of grey and whitish dirt about 600 foot long spill and I talked to a few guys that hunt the tailings with some luck getting some pickers.
lat- 33°44'13.15"N Long-117°17'9.30"W you can see the white color thats all tailings and where to go nugget hunt. HWY 74 & Richard street is right across the street from the tailings.
The mine tunnel runs East under Hwy 74 and still holds Gold but won't reopen it because of Hwy 74.
We hunt around the area because of the rich history even Wyatt Earp owned claims with Fred Perris in this area.
I live west of there in Gavilan Hills and is a fun area for Relic Hunting, I was the one who discovered the boulder with the carving on it "Co A U.S. Calvary 1876" and is in the history books I took the historian to the rock and photographed it for his book. He said they used Camels coming from Fort Tejon all the way to the Colorado River mapping the Riverside area. I am going back with my new MX Sport to the rock carving where they camped and detect the area because I found more rocks carved in the heavily covered brush across the creek from the boulder. Found some old Mess Kits from March Air Base when they did maneuvers around Gavilan Hills and lots of other Relics.
Here is a pic of Good Hope Tailings..
good hope.JPG

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is closed but you can sweep the tailings its not fenced off and pickers have been found here right off Hwy 74 and Richard st is across the street from it
good hope.JPG

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

There is indeed gold in the hills around the good hope mine. I Know a guy who pulled gold out of more than one of the shafts on that ridge line. If you look carefully the east side of the hill has MANY portals all up and down that side of the hill Due Ease of Steele Peak.
As previously mentioned these mines do not connect to The Good Hope Mine. I've personally been in a couple of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread