What's new

stone found in creek with 'drilled' hole

sndngrvl

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 20, 2017
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northeast Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pretty good guess as to what the response will be, but I wanted expert eyes to give their opinion. I'm a landscaper who works with natural stone and have seen all sorts of illogical natural formations. To quote Kramer, I know that "Mother Nature is a maaaad scientist..."

Anyway, my wife found this rock in a creek bed, here in Northern Ohio while we were hiking. I know there were all sorts of Native American tribes throughout our area. (I have a decent collection of arrowheads, etc., from hunting with my father 30 years ago - sadly, the most fertile hunting ground we ever searched is now a sprawling housing development. You could barely walk more than 20 feet without picking up an arrowhead. But I digress...)

I've seen quite a few pics of natural holes in stones. The placement and perfection of this hole, raised, at least, a tiny bit of suspicion, so I'm posing it to the forum. The 'front' side has a larger impression than the exit hole on the back side.

Thanks for your insight.
Dan

stone w hole front.webp
stone w hole back.webp
 
Upvote 0
hand hold for a spindle on bow drill set?
 
It does look drilled from what I see, but what it was used for could be a number of things. Your wife has a good eye:icon_thumleft: Welcome to T-net:hello:
 
If you zoom in on the holes you can see how rough they are inside on both sides of your piece, so I doubt that is a drilled hole. Looks like something has eroded out. Just my thoughts.

These are the best examples I have of drilled holes. Looks closely at these and you can the difference between these and the hole in your piece.
 

Attachments

  • Winged Bannerstone (5).webp
    Winged Bannerstone (5).webp
    108 KB · Views: 331
  • Winged Bannerstone (6).webp
    Winged Bannerstone (6).webp
    99.3 KB · Views: 178
The most interior, protected part of the hole looks pretty smooth. (The rock is only about 1/2" thick) I didn't know if it could have all started smooth (man-made) and has been eroding in the creek for 300 years, working its way outside to in and degrading the original smoothness on the most exposed area, or if it's just a rock with a hole. I suspected 'rock with a hole.' Luckily, we find it cool enough to stick on a shelf either way.

Dan
 
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post Dan - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
 
Refer them to the other thread . Seeing how I can't mention them
Because it belongs there..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Welcome aboard if you have time post pics of your arrowheads.... It's always nice to see what others have found.
 
It very well could be a weight for a net. I've seen cast net weights that looked very similar. The size and shape are both consistent with what I've seen before.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom