Stonewall watching and found....

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cold here, and ground froze so all i can do is dream and wall watch which is watching the walls while driving around that meander along the roads and thru the woods in my area of NY.

The trees are of course barren of leaves now and i spotted what looks to be an old colonial homestead foundation last week that i told Bergie about.

Furthur watching today i discovered what appears to be more foundations and structure walls close to the original foundation.

It appears to maybe be a small community that is now back in the woods. The land is posted and my observations are only from the road so far because of that fact

If its not Colonial era then it is still really ancient and reeks of old coinage. I have got to get into this place! Spring cannot get here fast enough!? ?:D

Edit......

Oh, i almost forgot.

Any of the cellar hole hunters or colonial experts know if the colonials used Mortar in the buliding of their house foundations? These are field stones (possibly crudely cut/chiseled) and mortared together.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in the 1790's they used a oyster shell type morter in some foundations. in colonial Williamsburg

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff. 8) Wish you could have a look at this place. I would be interested to hear your opinions on it.

Maybe i can get some pics of it here once i figure the procedure out

I think the West Coasters would drool gandering at this place

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
Well.. Winter is a great time for research, that's for sure!

I got a "real" dectector a few weeks before it got cold here and only have maybe an hour of intimate time detecting in total. I've picked up a few tips on this board on researching and will be spending the winter looking for some good places to DIG!

Garrett

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pics yet, Cedarrat. I will get some when i finally get in to detect this place in the spring. I now have to track down who owns the property, and get permission to search it.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Sounds like a cool site. Look forward to hitting it this spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread