Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Stop on in...there's tons of them

I got a message today from a nice teller at one of my banks who started saving coins for me last week. When I walked in on Friday to deposit $ for work, she said "Oh, I was hoping you would come in, I have been saving these for you."
coins 4 20 12.jpg
I bought them for $2 face plus I gave her $10 for a finder's fee. $5 for the 1923 peace dollar, $2.50 each for the 1964 kennedy & 1918 walker. First time I ever paid above face for coin, but I felt bad "taking" them from her with giving her an incentive.

I gave her my card and told her to call me if anything more comes in. She just called and left a message "...stop by if you want today, there are a ton of them."

What might she have today?! I will post the results this afternoon. - HH! - Jonathan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great deal for you. But that teller is probably risking her employment by accepting more than face for them if she's selling them from her till. Overages are problems for tellers and putting the difference in her pocket behind the counter would be a bigtime no-no.

Let us know how it turns out.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a dollar thank you card with $10 bucks in it. can t get her in trouble .

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually when I buy from a teller, she meets me across the lot at McDonalds or at least away from her till. It doesn't hurt to have your wife bake a cake and take it in either.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I would concur with SilverJack. I was a bank teller once myself, and if my supervisor saw me accepting more than face value for a coin or bill and pocketing the difference I would have been sacked without hesitation. I like the idea of giving a thank you note with a bill, or better yet a gift card of some type, enclosed. In any case, be discreet about it if you continue giving the teller gifts for hooking you up.

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back to work from the bank. Look at this haul!

coins 4 25 12 - 1.jpg coins 4 25 12 - 2.jpg

Totals: $23.40 face + $20 thank you envelope

Walkers: 1920, 1936 x 2, 1942 x 2, 1943 x 3, 1944, 1945
Bens: 1952, 54, 58 x 2, 59, 1960
Kennedys: 1964 x 8, 66, 67 x 7, 68 x 6, 69 x 1
Quarters: 1942, 44, 45, 47, 53, 54, 56, 59, 1964 x 5
Mercs: 1944, 45
Roosies: 1960, 64

About 13.5 ounces for $43.40. WHOA!

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Apparently, a retired woman is bringing in a bag of coin to dump in the coin counter every week. She is buying them out before they get dumped. It has all sorts of silver in it. She didn't know about the 40% until I told her to start holding those too. Next thing I know she is going through her drawer pulling out 15 40%ers.

I am thinking about selling some 40%'s (I almost didn't get them anyway) and finding a way to give her all the proceeds. I figure $100 might keep this deal alive for awhile longer (and avoid her going to sell them herself, she asked about selling them at pawn shops the last two times I stopped in.) Better to sell some to keep her happy and keep all the good stuff then lose out on the hookup.

I wonder how much awesome coin this woman has left to cash in?

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did better, 13.86 oz silver for 18 bucks :p haha. That's still a great find! Good luck! And ya I wouldn't offer more than face for coins while inside the bank. I'm a cashier and if I for more than face for a coin I probably would get in huge trouble. Even if I swap out a wheat penny for one of my pennies I have to be careful. Putting any money in my pockets while working is frowned upon by management. So just be careful. Don't want your friend getting fired

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Believe it or not, the 1923 Peace dollar is mint mark "S". It is in kinda rough shape on the reverse, but wow!

Update: I sold 15 40%'s and gave $50 to the teller in a thank you note last week. I am anxiously waiting to get a call this week for another pick up. Last week was Wednesday, week before the call was Friday. Come on, silver!

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice teller for sure!

I buy silver from 1 teller occasionally and she said its ok to give her $$ at the window, it just has to be in an envelope. So she gives me a bank envelope and I put the money for the transaction in the envelope and pass it back to her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread