What's new

Strange North Carolina Worm?

Furismo

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
98
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
This critter was found while I was digging up gravel in a creek looking for Almadine crystals. I have no idea what it is :C.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3513.webp
    100_3513.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 852
looks like a grub to some kinda bettle
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a hellgramite, larval stage of a dobson fly. Excellent fish bait, and when they get their pincers, they will never let go of your finger................NGE
 
Upvote 0
nowgittineverything said:
Looks like a hellgramite, larval stage of a dobson fly. Excellent fish bait, and when they get their pincers, they will never let go of your finger................NGE

dragoonfly or fly was my other thought :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
it is not brightly colored so good eats. :icon_thumright:
Broken knee
 
Upvote 0
Hellgramites live under rocks and gravel in a river or stream bed. I have never seen a june bug do that........NGE
 
Upvote 0
nowgittineverything said:
Hellgramites live under rocks and gravel in a river or stream bed. I have never seen a june bug do that........NGE
NGE I don't believe it is a Helgramite / Dobson fly this image is. I would like to know what it is? I'm unable to find any images of the OP's larva. :dontknow: Maybe my eyes are shot I just don't see the match
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • helgrmite.webp
    helgrmite.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 100_3513.webp
    100_3513.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0
Could it be a Hickory Horned Devil?
I believe they hibernate for quite some time and can reach 6 inches long in their larva stage.
 

Attachments

  • hickory horned devil.webp
    hickory horned devil.webp
    63.3 KB · Views: 6,742
Upvote 0
pan fry on low heat with butter and tobasco sauce!!
 
Upvote 0
B|lker said:
Could it be a Hickory Horned Devil?
I believe they hibernate for quite some time and can reach 6 inches long in their larva stage.
Your image is of its larval stage?
BK
 
Upvote 0
Yeah it look like a June bug in the larva stage of it's life,I have 4 of them in my compost pile in my backyard and their all about 6 to 12 inches long.These guys(as I've been told,by the experts),will not change into a June bug,and our excellent for your compost pile,even better than worms.I even sold 2 of them for $5 each to a fellow composter. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
But, he says they were in the wet gravel under water! June bugs and their larva live just below your grass roots and very rich compost. Could this be just one stage of a hellgramite larva, before it turns ugly and dark? I am going to look and see if I can find that out..............NGE
 
Upvote 0
Not knowing what the size is, could this be a very young salamander larva? There appears to be gills on the head end?
 
Upvote 0
nowgittineverything said:
Looks like a hellgramite, larval stage of a dobson fly. Excellent fish bait, and when they get their pincers, they will never let go of your finger................NGE

I must agree NGE ........early stage dobsonfly larvae :icon_thumleft:

GG~
 
Upvote 0
coin1921 said:
Not knowing what the size is, could this be a very young salamander larva? There appears to be gills on the head end?
if that is the head end those things look like Nematodes or Round worms? JMO :icon_thumright:
BK
 
Upvote 0
My Horned Devil was photographed next to the New River .5miles north of the NC border at Shady Shack campground in August if that helps.


HH all

B|lker
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom