What's new

Stumped again...

brassmonkey

Greenie
Joined
Apr 8, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Carolina Beach, NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still some more cleaning to do but...here it is. IMG_5280.webpIMG_5281.webp
 
looks like something that keeps something like a winch or a ratchet winch from spinning.locking arm.?
brad
 
Upvote 0
looks like something that keeps something like a winch or a ratchet winch from spinning.locking arm.?
brad
I vote for this. A musket plate would be brass
 
Upvote 0
looks like something that keeps something like a winch or a ratchet winch from spinning.locking arm.?
brad

1875 hand winch.webp
 
Upvote 0
I vote for this. A musket plate would be brass

Lock plates on muskets are steel, not brass. Brass would not take the constant hammering very well.
 
Upvote 0
I agree a catch of some sort, gravity activated.
 
Upvote 0
Lock plates on muskets are steel, not brass. Brass would not take the constant hammering very well.

I think he meant musket "side plate." They were made in brass and some were iron as well. It does look like a broken side plate. One of the screw holes remains, and there would have been a second, which is missing. Also some lock plates were indeed brass. I have one. Though they are few and far between, and have steel parts attached to them.
 
Upvote 0
I go with a lock side plate also
 
Upvote 0
:dontknow: I'm a fan of DC Matt ID's !
 
Upvote 0
updated pictures after a bit of cleaning.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2435.webp
    IMG_2435.webp
    447.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2434.webp
    IMG_2434.webp
    374.2 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
I’m going with DCMatt’s theory
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom