stumped

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ok, so I do not claim this to be an artifact but it is not just a rock either. I found it at a site my friend owns where a cabin stood until it disintegrated sometime in the 1920's or 30's. This place in one of those properties where the Indian inhabitants never left, never went to a reservation, never lost their identity and remain there to this day. I have found points dating back thousands of years there...along with trade goods from the early 1800's...medicine bottles from the 1880's...metal tools, blacksmiths tools, iron stove pieces, high lace children's leather boots...on and on and on. So my point is the context is very real and indisputable. However, i don't have a clue what this is.

What I suppose....
1. most definitely stone
2. edges are squared off and not naturally rounded (eroded)
3. shape seems purposeful
4. feels almost as smooth as a whetstone...a little rougher but not gritty at all
5. look at that broke end...see how it looks cut half way through and then snapped?
6. almost a banner stone look to it but of course not one.

help me out here....

Attachments

• DSC01378.JPG
    DSC01378.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC01379.JPG
    DSC01379.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC01382.JPG
    DSC01382.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC01387.JPG
    DSC01387.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mine too but (sorry) i forgot to tell you this is a PNW coastal find...pretty far from banner stone territory.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to thin through the middle for a Banner anyway to me. It may actually be part of a large Scythe Sharpening Stone.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Probably something in the grinding/sharpening stone territory. If there was logging or fishing done there, maybe it was someone's personal sharpening tool?

Most of the really used knife sharpening stones that I have seen get worn in the middle from long strokes, but maybe an axe edge is done with a shorter stroke in the field that would leave a high point in the middle? (I'd expect a rougher grit for an axe, but something along those lines.)

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I concur, more likely a farm sharpening stone tool rather than native american made.

I have found more than a few round or rectangular stone items, more often than not broken, which I think was a farm tool of some sort from days gone by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread