Sublet Ferry point?

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Decided to take a quick kayak trip down the creek and found this on the gravel bar. Sublet Ferry is the closet thing I could find in the Overstreet guide. Measures 2 1/8" length, 3/4" width and it's pretty thin. We found a bunch more goodies, but I'm not feeling to well and don't feel like cleaning them right now. I'll try to take pix of it tomorrow and better ones of this.

arrow2.jpg arrow1.jpg arrow3.jpg arrow4.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not good with the I D of points but Ill try and probably wrong. Big Sandy

OP
OP
hbrown22

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It's probably the most perfect one we've found so far. I'll have to look at the Big Sandy again. I'm not great with identifying, the difference in many of them is so subtle and I don't have the eye for it yet.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the flaking on the first pic says Woodland but the second pic says earlier from what I see. So it is confusing me as to which period it is from. Woodland is scattered flaking where archaic is usually long strikes and a little scattered flaking.
It is a really nice looking point. Who found it you or your husband or did you 2 wrestle for it?

dbag1969

Jun 15, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful point! I'd say Big Sandy also or possibly a Brewerton side notched or Brewerton eared...That dark lithic is awesome!

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All close guesses early archaic transitional it is either a big sandy , or a green briar after a closer look at the notches I believe rock is right big sandy

Attachments

• image-2523887078.jpg
    image-2523887078.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
hbrown22

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the flaking on the first pic says Woodland but the second pic says earlier from what I see. So it is confusing me as to which period it is from. Woodland is scattered flaking where archaic is usually long strikes and a little scattered flaking.
It is a really nice looking point. Who found it you or your husband or did you 2 wrestle for it?

We both saw it, he was faster! It was funny because we pulled the kayaks up so we could look around. We took a few steps then looked at each other, both had a disbelief look on our face, so I knew he saw it too. He went to grab it but I yelled take a pic. That's why it's a little darker near the base in the in situ pick, water dropped on it. Everything has that uniform grey or clay red color on it, depending where we are in the creek.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We both saw it, he was faster! It was funny because we pulled the kayaks up so we could look around. We took a few steps then looked at each other, both had a disbelief look on our face, so I knew he saw it too. He went to grab it but I yelled take a pic. That's why it's a little darker near the base in the in situ pick, water dropped on it. Everything has that uniform grey or clay red color on it, depending where we are in the creek.

According to artifact hunting rules it is allowed to push, trip or even trick them so you can be the first one to touch it to claim it as yours. :laughing7:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I'll remember that! Your getting our rain now. We are getting ready to head out and see what goodies we can find :)

Yes we are but its not a down pour just kinda a drizzle. I hope the fields got turned before the rain. Good luck on your hunt. The creek water will be dirty but maybe the rain washed off some of those pesty leaves. Our leaves turn black the same color as the points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread