Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just made it home from an extended trip where I detected two sites in two different states...both from the Indian Wars era. I was at the first site for four days and the second for three. I was able to find a good variety of pieces, but some of the stand out items were an Anson Mills US belt buckle, a near perfect eagle breast plate, two nice old locks, a belt saber hanger, a small jewelry piece (looks like half of a locket and might be gold), and several nice buttons. Two of the buttons were firsts for me. An early (1860s) Marine cuff button and an Artillery cuff button with the eagle facing to its left. Now it's time to do some cleaning and preservation.

20240517_090244.jpg
20240517_090815.jpg
20240517_090930.jpg
20240517_090948.jpg
20240517_091008.jpg
20240517_091110.jpg
20240517_091235.jpg
20240517_091346.jpg
20240517_091658.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had some GREAT places to detect.

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Locket piece acid tested at 14K gold.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are some awesome finds! I like to see IW relics, they don’t get posted that much. I have a question though, what should I be finding at the site of a roughly two day IW battle? I have found a lot of spent 45-70 casings and bullets dropped and fired. As well as bits of iron things like horse shoes and such. Should I be expecting a lot of buttons, buckles, and brass objects like you have? It’s not a camp and as far as I know I’m the only one to ever have permission to hunt it but you know how that goes.

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man those are some awesome finds! I like to see IW relics, they don’t get posted that much. I have a question though, what should I be finding at the site of a roughly two day IW battle? I have found a lot of spent 45-70 casings and bullets dropped and fired. As well as bits of iron things like horse shoes and such. Should I be expecting a lot of buttons, buckles, and brass objects like you have? It’s not a camp and as far as I know I’m the only one to ever have permission to hunt it but you know how that goes.
Buttons seem to have been lost pretty often at least in my experience. I'm detecting fort sites that existed for several years so I'm sure that's why I'm finding a lot of artifacts. Plus I dig almost all the signals....including the trash. I think you'd have better luck if you could find where they camped.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I dig everything there as well and 9 out of 10 signals is a relic so not much trash but it’s a big area. I have access to 40 acres of farmland a family friend owns on the cavalry side of the battle. The place where their camp site was is right outside his property and I’ve asked the owners wife and he was out of town so she said no, but I could probably talk him into it next time I go up there.

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info, I dig everything there as well and 9 out of 10 signals is a relic so not much trash but it’s a big area. I have access to 40 acres of farmland a family friend owns on the cavalry side of the battle. The place where their camp site was is right outside his property and I’ve asked the owners wife and he was out of town so she said no, but I could probably talk him into it next time I go up there.
I hope you'll post some of your finds in this Subforum. So far I'm the only one posting in it and I know others hunt IW artifacts. Good luck!

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you'll post some of your finds in this Subforum. So far I'm the only one posting in it and I know others hunt IW artifacts. Good luck!
I’ve posted them several years back as I found them but I’ll get everything together this evening and post on the subforum.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever found the pistol casings with the double firing pin marks on the rim on top and bottom? I can’t remember if it’s 32 or 38 cal. I found seven or so of them.

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever found the pistol casings with the double firing pin marks on the rim on top and bottom? I can’t remember if it’s 32 or 38 cal. I found seven or so of them.
I've found some .44 Henry rounds that have double firing pin marks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread