What's new

Sun Protection

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you guys/gals protect yourself from a full day of metal detecting on the beach and in the surf under that smoldering July and August sun?
 
Upvote 0
Seein as I wear tank tops year round,sun don't bother me,just get darker,wear a 209.00$ pair of shades though!Sunblock will GIVE you skin cancer!
 
Stay in the A/C..... Hunt in the early morning and Late evening.... Yep I am Nocturnal.... :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
 
Early a.m. / later p.m., long sleeve shirts, wide brim hat, and sunblock for legs and face.

:-)
 
Commodore BigScoop, Get yuh one of those sombrero's That are like 3' across... No Sunblock Needed. And free shade... :headbang: Dark welding glasses to protect the eyes from the bright sun... :headbang:
 
I use Bull Frog sun block, the one that is a clear liquid. It has a strong odor but I can stay in the water all day long and it won't wear off. Please wear sunblock, or and protective clothing.
 
long sleeves (stretch board shirt) and a hat or hood, sometimes gloves.
I never had skin cancer until I used sun block for a couple of years, read a lot about it, 20+ surgeries later and no more sun block for me!
Randyd
 
I've been going late afternoon + SPF 30 on arms and face, sunglasses & ball cap help

If I go in the middle of the day, I bring a backpacking product called a Camelbak (http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Hydrobak.aspx) with me. It is a sturdy soft plastic canteen in a backpack (a with long tube to drink from.) I fill it with lots of ice and water. It's nice to have something cold to drink and the backpack is cold against my back.

Shane
 
After having skin cancer cut off me several times I protect myself from the sun, I wear a long sleeve sun guard shirt, SPF rated 100 just like the surfers wear. Then any skin that is exposed to the sun gets covered with Coppertone Sunscreen for Baby SPF 70, no tears....Wear a hat with a neck guard, and I have a bottle of sunscreen that attaches to my Camelbac pack.... I am out all day in the sun with no effects... If hunting after 4pm I don't worry about it.....
 
Randyd said:
I never had skin cancer until I used sun block for a couple of years, read a lot about it, 20+ surgeries later and no more sun block for me!

I've never heard of this before, but read some recent news articles about it after seeing your post.

I'm using one of the bad brands. Think I switch to one of the recommended brands just to be safe. Thanks for the info.

Shane
 
Randyd said:
long sleeves (stretch board shirt) and a hat or hood, sometimes gloves.
I never had skin cancer until I used sun block for a couple of years, read a lot about it, 20+ surgeries later and no more sun block for me!
Randyd

I had skin cancer several times before I started using the sunblock. The dermatologist told me to start using sunblock with he highest SPF I could find... Just like everything else there is good and bad sunscreen....Look up sunblock on consumer reports.....If I am going to be in the sun, I do not leave home with out mine.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom