Sunday - Buttons, Coppers, Lead Heel Plate, Silver

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday - Buttons, Coppers, Lead Heel Plate, Silver, 1812 Wreath?

Got out with Patriot again Sunday and it was almost a repeat of the first hunt of the year - only with much better weather!
We started off at one site that did well last fall and the targets were there, but not nearly as concentrated second time around. Still managed a couple coppers, 1864 NB cent and 1902 French 5 Centimes, A pretty rough Canada Militia button that cleaning did NOT help lol, carved musketball, the sporting button, and what looks like maybe a ladies tongue and wreath style buckle with thistles and shamrocks on it - which after some research could be an 1812 New Brunswick 104th foot Regiment item!
We then decided to do quite a long walk to a spot that should hold some early french colonial stuff but it was much quieter then I figured - the only finds were the lead heel plate(which is pretty cool in my books) and a musketball.
We ended the day at the site I got two silver sixpence at last fall, and I manged the squished silver ring on the same slope the sixpence came from. Looks like it has a treble clef or stylised letter on it.
All in all a great day to be out digging!
IMG_6550.JPG
IMG_6553.JPG
IMG_6555.JPG
IMG_6556.JPG
IMG_6554.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice assortment of finds. :occasion14: How long have you been using that F5?

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you had a nice assortment of finds...Mine were pretty close and will post up under another hunt... That heel was more cool the more I think about it...Hopefully it's just the tip of the iceberg! just nice being out in the nice weather and friends to share it with...

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's been using it quite some time now and to tell you the truth, he sometimes picks up some items as deep if not deeper than the Explorer XS, SE and Etrac machines consistantly...
Congrats on the nice assortment of finds. :occasion14: How long have you been using that F5?

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since 2009! I've thought about upgrading many times, but everytime I come back to the fact I find the targets without any issue, so why bother!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you had a nice assortment of finds...Mine were pretty close and will post up under another hunt... That heel was more cool the more I think about it...Hopefully it's just the tip of the iceberg! just nice being out in the nice weather and friends to share it with...

Yup, that heel plate is pretty cool, because we can be fairly confident of the time frame! There's still potential there!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Hunthicks , interesting posting, had no idea they ever used lead for the heel plate, very nice variety there, thanks for the post !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since 2009! I've thought about upgrading many times, but everytime I come back to the fact I find the targets without any issue, so why bother!

I wanted an F5 last spring, love the options and nice display. I am such a cheap B@st@rd that I settled for the Fisher F4 (over 100 below retail). I am a coinshooter and it served me well. It paid for itself and then some. Kind of miss having it in my arsenal. I upgraded to a F75LTD SE since I want to do all types of detecting to include cellar hole sites and fields (got another amazing deal). I was hoping the F75 would find deeper targets. I only have about 100 hours on it and have only found 1 item that the F4 couldn't. I am also a big fan of the DD coil.

I may have to get an F5 as a back-up unit. I seen one for $300. My current back-up unit is a White's Classic ID. It's a nickle killer, but it requires that I use an arm strap the way it's balanced. Heck swinging the F75 is harder since it is heavier than both the F4 & F5. I used to swing the F4 for 8-10 hours a day, no problem. I am only swinging the F75 about 6 hrs a day for now.

Thanks for the quick replies. Hope to see more of your posts in the future.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted an F5 last spring, love the options and nice display. I am such a cheap B@st@rd that I settled for the Fisher F4 (over 100 below retail). I am a coinshooter and it served me well. It paid for itself and then some. Kind of miss having it in my arsenal. I upgraded to a F75LTD SE since I want to do all types of detecting to include cellar hole sites and fields (got another amazing deal). I was hoping the F75 would find deeper targets. I only have about 100 hours on it and have only found 1 item that the F4 couldn't. I am also a big fan of the DD coil.

I may have to get an F5 as a back-up unit. I seen one for $300. My current back-up unit is a White's Classic ID. It's a nickle killer, but it requires that I use an arm strap the way it's balanced. Heck swinging the F75 is harder since it is heavier than both the F4 & F5. I used to swing the F4 for 8-10 hours a day, no problem. I am only swinging the F75 about 6 hrs a day for now.

Thanks for the quick replies. Hope to see more of your posts in the future.

I love the F5 - light, good battery life, very consistent target ID once you learn the ropes, and most of all it seems to do as well as any more expensive machine. I've dug many deep targets, including coins and musket balls in the 14 - 16 inch range. It picks up tiny buttons, pieces of lead at a couple inches. If I'm digging that stuff, I know I have a good chance! And I had started with the F2 and had dug many good targets and some in the 8 - 12 inch range with that.
Whenever I upgrade it'll be the F75 no doubt, and the F5 will be my backup/change up machine!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Hunthicks , interesting posting, had no idea they ever used lead for the heel plate, very nice variety there, thanks for the post !

It's amazing all the things they used lead for at some point in history!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds, I especially like that heel plate!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good post, I've thought the same thing, I'd like to "upgrade" or at least try another machine, Deus, Racer etc. but what's the point, my Omega (similar performance to F5) finds the goods no problem. 2013 I got 154 old coppers all most all of them 8 inches or less, most 6 inches or less. I'd like to use F75, but IDs are not as good, and need to carry two different kinds of spare batteries. I like to carry the minimal.

Oh yeah, good finds too. esp. if buckle turns out to be military. ?

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post, I've thought the same thing, I'd like to "upgrade" or at least try another machine, Deus, Racer etc. but what's the point, my Omega (similar performance to F5) finds the goods no problem. 2013 I got 154 old coppers all most all of them 8 inches or less, most 6 inches or less. I'd like to use F75, but IDs are not as good, and need to carry two different kinds of spare batteries. I like to carry the minimal.

Oh yeah, good finds too. esp. if buckle turns out to be military. ?

I'm pretty sure there must be a connection with the NB 104th Regiment. Patriot found a button there last fall, and it would match the description of the wreath in their regimental colors - thistles, shamrocks and a rose. It's too bad the other half wasn't there, but chances are it's in that field still!
I've always been a "If it isn't broken, don't fix it kinda guy" and I'll try to repurpose something before buying new if I can.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice assortment

Top Member Reactions