Sundays finds at old church....clad, wheats, shirt pin...

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunday's finds at old church....clad, wheats, shirt pin...

Hello all, I went hunting Sunday at the same spot that I hit last weekend, an old church built in 1895....still didn't find anything really old like I had hoped although I did manage these 5 quarters, 5 nickels, 3 dimes, 16 memorial cents, and 4 wheats 1944, 1944D, 1953D, 1955. Lot of coins in the ground there but, like I said, nothing really old and I pretty much dug every signal that I got. Also got this script "S" pin, probably stands for "Smith" I'm guessing because the name of the church is "Smith Memorial United Methodist", junk jewelry tho. I don't think that I'll be returning to this spot because I have almost cleaned out the whole front yard of the church with about 8-10 hours total hunt time and nothing old to show for it other than 8 or 9 wheats and a 1941 nickel.....and I had such high hopes for this site too, oh well, there is plenty more sites out there. My older relatives keep telling me that I am wasting my time hunting in this small town, because they say that people were so poor that they didn't have a "penny to lose" way back when. My reply is always, "If they lost only one coin per year over X amount of years then that is X number of coins for me to find." Then they are like, "well, I guess you are right"....exactly

I still haven't found anything older than 1920 (wheatie) in my 7 months of this addiction, but I don't let it get me down cuz I just love being outside hunting and enjoying the outdoors....not knowing what the next target could be keeps me going and I just have to dig it up to find out what it is!!! My time will come...eventually

Thanks for looking.....

HH

Attachments

• Jan_15_2006 004 (Large).jpg
    Jan_15_2006 004 (Large).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Sunday's finds at old church....clad, wheats, shirt pin...

I'm an old time church yard hunter and usually the finds are not old coins. I turn down the discrimination and look for interesting relics. After you dig lots of modern coins and other junk the old stuff will start to show up. Most old church yards are good for a padlock; keys; sunday school attendance pins; tokens, and small cast toys.

There's lots of stuff in that yard if that church was very active in the early days. But of course, not all those old churches had much going on.

On a coinshooter scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best), I'd rate churches 3 and 19th century hotel/apartment grounds 8. Unhunted fairgrounds/carnival used heavily in the 19th century are a THer's dream come true and would rate 10. Now for relics, CW & Rev. battlefields earn number 10.

HH

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds! Excellent picture

Attachments

• clap.gif
    clap.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 250
  • clap.gif
    clap.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 245
OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the replies you all!! I did some scouting after hunting on Sunday with an old map that I have of the area from around 1900, I managed to locate some old one room school house sites as well as some houses on the map that are still standing today, most are still occupied. Hopefully I can start somewhere new next weekend and maybe I'll get lucky and finally find some oldies, or at least some newer silver coins. Until next weekend.....

HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

They're still some great find's and you got out detecting.Like you said ..you never know what that next dig is gonna be,that's what keep's us goin'..well at least me.Congrat's and HH!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

It will come. Your on the right path. Dig alot of garbage and stay after those older sites. It's just a matter of time.

HH Jer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wonder how many members that church has had since its orgin or how many people have lived in your town? Over 111 years worth of coins! That would be a lot of coins that should be laying around there. Wonder how many detectorist have already searched there? I went to a church that was built in the 30's expecting to find lots of good stuff and only found wheats and one lowly Rosie. So I know how you feel. :'( Good luck on your new sites!! Congrats on the finds. :)

;)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.

Your time is going to come and it won't be long before you hit some Indian head cents and some older silver.Those old scoolhouse sites should produce some good finds if they haven't been hunted heavily.
You're on the right track by researching your area with the old map. Research is the key along with listening for those weaker deeper signals. I wish you the best of luck on your future hunts.
HH!

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I doubt that the church or any of the other sites that I have looked at have ever been touched with a detector. It is a very small town where pretty much everyone knows each other and I dont remember ever seeing a detector/detectorist around, ever. I could be wrong but I doubt it, at the church I was finding coins left and right, about every other swing or so, and lots of quarters and dimes too plus the older wheaties, so I don't think that anyone has ever been here...lots of pulltabs and aluminum trash too. I found a square nail there on the first hunt. But the yard is very very small tho, not really even big enough to have gatherings of any kind. The other sites that I located with the map I doubt have ever been hit because they are out in the middle of nowhere pretty much, as is the small town....in the hills of WV. Hopefully next weekend I'll find something older.

HH

R

rb

WOW I need to find some older spots to hunt... Great job RB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions