What's new

SWEEET penny from kid on last day of school

47thelement

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
161
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure this is not post mint damage.

Any idea on value?
 

Attachments

  • 100_3627.webp
    100_3627.webp
    74.2 KB · Views: 428
  • 100_3628.webp
    100_3628.webp
    81.7 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
Nice off center strike! It appears the a and m in America aren't touching. Would like to see a better photo. If they are spaced then it is either a 1992, 1998 wide AM or a 1999 wide AM. Too bad there is no way to tell. I has a small premium and would be even more if the entire date was showing. Normal value per the Red Book is $5.00.
HH
Gilbert
 
enamel7 said:
Nice off center strike! It appears the a and m in America aren't touching. Would like to see a better photo. If they are spaced then it is either a 1992, 1998 wide AM or a 1999 wide AM. Too bad there is no way to tell. I has a small premium and would be even more if the entire date was showing. Normal value per the Red Book is $5.00.
HH
Gilbert

If I remember correctly all 1990, 1991, and 1992 are wide AM (except for any made close AM in error) and from 1993 to 1999 they are all close AM (except for any made wide AM in error). In other words, it is probably a common date/variety, but just an off center strike.
 
GMan00001 said:
enamel7 said:
Nice off center strike! It appears the a and m in America aren't touching. Would like to see a better photo. If they are spaced then it is either a 1992, 1998 wide AM or a 1999 wide AM. Too bad there is no way to tell. I has a small premium and would be even more if the entire date was showing. Normal value per the Red Book is $5.00.
HH
Gilbert

If I remember correctly all 1990, 1991, and 1992 are wide AM (except for any made close AM in error) and from 1993 to 1999 they are all close AM (except for any made wide AM in error). In other words, it is probably a common date/variety, but just an off center strike.
You are correct G. I don't know why I forgot to list the 90 and 91. Thanks for correcting me. :notworthy:
HH
Gilbert
 
Gosh guys I really don't know how to get a better picture?
 
the picture you took is at an angle. Need an overhead shot. If you can't get that, then scan it.
 
This is an off center, mint error strike as the guys have told you. They usually command about $3 to $5 to collectors of such items. I have about ten that I bought at a coin show a few years ago for $2 each. However, it's still an interesting piece.
rileyboy
 
similar to one I picked up last month in a box of pennies.
 

Attachments

  • P1010001.webp
    P1010001.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 316
I love the off centers. They are hard to find. I agree, $5-$10. Not huge $ but still a nice return. If it had a full date if would worth more. If it was a 99 with the Wide AM, that would be sweet! No way to tell though unless it came for a whole roll of '99s or something like that.
 
On second thought, there are some die markers that may indicate the date. I saw the ones for the '99 wide AMs recently. You might could find those die markers and figure it out. Just a thought.
 
Doubleing on the nose it looks like. Nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom