Sweep speed

M

Mike(Mont)

It depends on the weight and length of the rod as well as what type of bearings. For me with a lightweight rod and good bearings, I sweep about three inches per second. Any slower and the rod won't break away from the bearings, any faster and the inertia of the rod will over power things. When I sweep this slow, I watch for the rod to stop or hesitate. This is the edge of the field and not the target itself. The rod does not want to cross through the edge of the field.

I have experimented with bearings that are extremely fine. If you think of a compass needle the rod is just too sensitive. I had to curl up the back half (behind the bearings) so I could feel something on the front of the rod. With this rod I had to sweep even slower. And in wind it was useless. The point here is, sweep as slow as possible for your rod type.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it sounds silly and looks dumb, but when the wind is up, I hold an umbrella in my left hand to shield the wind, works pretty good.
Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread