What's new

Sweet little bullet. What kind is it?

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
1,779
Reaction score
95
Golden Thread
0
Location
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, This little bullet came from a Confederate camp. I know that don't make it a Civil War
bullet. And thats fine. I just wondered what kind of bullet it is.

Clayton
 

Attachments

  • THURS 1 006.webp
    THURS 1 006.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 387
Not sure what cal. it is from the pic, but I can tell you it is not civil war. The crimp marks show a technique for loading the cartridge that was not in use during the war. The chalk white patina on the bullet generally means it has some age on it but, depending on the area and ground contents, it could happen to a bullet in as little as 60 or 70 years. Are you fellows getting any good confederate artifacts from your camp. Good luck.
 
Upvote 0
duggap said:
Not sure what cal. it is from the pic, but I can tell you it is not civil war. The crimp marks show a technique for loading the cartridge that was not in use during the war. The chalk white patina on the bullet generally means it has some age on it but, depending on the area and ground contents, it could happen to a bullet in as little as 60 or 70 years. Are you fellows getting any good confederate artifacts from your camp. Good luck.
We have had some fair luck in this area. Most of what we find are bullet's. The most interesting of these, are the one that have been carved. Several buttons, Some came out of the ground, looking fairly nice. others not. Buckles. But, not any of the beloved Confederate ones. And the usual gun parts and so on. We are keeping records of our finds. And marking the find areas.
I've not dug one like this before. I have dug my share of 22 and 25s over the years. This doe's not seem to be one of them.

Clayton
 
Upvote 0
I'd guess the bullet is from a .38 caliber cartridge, possibly a .38 Special or a .357 magnum. It could even be a .38 S&W, or .38 long Colt. The .38 S&W is the oldest of four. Monty
 
Upvote 0
How many 25 caliber bullets has anyone seen that is crimped lead?My next guess would be .32 caliber as in .32 Long Colt. I load .32 calibe 88 grain lead bullets in my 7.62X23 Russian revolver, Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom