What's new

Switching from fresh water to sea water/beach

Acquisitor

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
302
Reaction score
126
Golden Thread
0
Hunting on a fresh water beach or in shallow fresh water is something I have done for quite a while now but here is a question.


I will be spending this weekend on a sea beach in Europe, I have a table of low/high tides and will obviously be hunting during low tides.

A friend of mine recommended finding "grey" of "black" sand and hunting there, according to him, places with yellow/brown sand are bad, because everything gets stuck in that grey/black sand area.
how true is that ?
 
Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry too much about the color of the sand as "treasure is where you find it". Black sand is mineralized and acutally may cause your detector to false or be less effective depthwise depending on what type machine you use. As far as that other stuff, just hunt low tide from about 2 hours before low tide to 2 hours after low tide and where the most people were when the tide was in. That will increase your odds of finding something much more than focusing on the color of the sand. Good luck and happy hunting!!
 
I hunt with excl 2 1000.

the thing is, the season is very young at this moment, and the sea is still very cold here in Flanders, so I'm mostly after previous year's treasure.

Anyway, if I dont get signals, or if the sea has brought lots of sand, I will limit myself to hunting the dry beach instead.
 
Since you have been mainly hunting fresh water you need to brush up on Saltwater detecting as there is to much info to pass along here. We also don't know what detector you are planning to use there.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/
 
I did mention my detector, its an excl2 1000.

I will check out the link thanks, also Im not planning to go into water
 
Acquisitor said:
I did mention my detector, its an excl2 1000.

I will check out the link thanks, also Im not planning to go into water
You don't have to go into the water, just hunt the wet sand 2 hrs before till about an hour or 2 after low tide. I don't usually hunt "in" the water at the ocean just the wet sand and I have found gold silver and numerous other rings, necklaces, watches and cell phones that way. I also use the Excal II and it is perfect for the hunting I am describing. Good luck!
 
thanks, if the sea proves to be empty (I doubt I can find anything from last year's drops unless the sand has been washed away), then I will simply do the dry beach with my ace 250 (it has a 15x11" coil and I prefer it to excl for dry beaches)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom