What's new

Sword hanger & Explosive bullet

Digger70pa

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2012
Messages
737
Reaction score
2,410
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a couple nice surprises last1 weekend. I found a sword hanger & a Gardiner explosive bullet. The Gardiner is a rare bullet. The Federal government only bought 110,000 of two calibers .58" & .52" total during the whole war. They only used in two major battles Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. After Gettysburg they discontinued use because they were deemed barbaric & inhumane.
 

Attachments

  • 20251122_125500.webp
    20251122_125500.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
  • 20251123_121310.webp
    20251123_121310.webp
    893.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20251123_121315.webp
    20251123_121315.webp
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • 20251123_151746.webp
    20251123_151746.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 20251123_155236.webp
    20251123_155236.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • 20251123_155247.webp
    20251123_155247.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 20251123_173515.webp
    20251123_173515.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20251123_173509.webp
    20251123_173509.webp
    89 KB · Views: 61
  • 20251123_173532.webp
    20251123_173532.webp
    150.4 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
Crazy stuff. Imagine not only getting shot, but then having it explode like a mini-grenade. Good thing they did away with them.
 
Crazy stuff. Imagine not only getting shot, but then having it explode like a mini-grenade. Good thing they did away with them.
Imagine one blowing up before it hit you. Like a little artillery shell. They had ideas about shooting caissons & blowing them up. The Union army issued the 2nd New Hampshire these rounds before Gettysburg. They were part of the 3rd corps. The spot i recoverd the bullet at was post battle on the retreat from Gettysburg.
 
Great finds! I remember as a kid digging through a box of dug bullets that were for sale in Gettysburg. I kept finding these ones that were completely splattered from the inside out with the little tube shape at the bottom still visible. I didn't know it at the time but these were exploded Gardiner bullets. I bought many bullets for $1 each, but none of the Gardiners, because I didn't know the significance. I never saw Gardiner bullets for sale that cheap ever again.
 
Great finds! I remember as a kid digging through a box of dug bullets that were for sale in Gettysburg. I kept finding these ones that were completely splattered from the inside out with the little tube shape at the bottom still visible. I didn't know it at the time but these were exploded Gardiner bullets. I bought many bullets for $1 each, but none of the Gardiners, because I didn't know the significance. I never saw Gardiner bullets for sale that cheap ever again.
Thats amazing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom