What's new

Rare Gardiner explosive bullet

Digger70pa

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2012
Messages
737
Reaction score
2,410
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The snow melted & ground thawed out enough to get out to do some relic hunting finally. I went after work also. Ive been working 7 days a week & have cabin fever lol. So I went somewhere close to home. Glad I did because I recovered a pretty rare bullet. These Gardiner explosive bullets were only used in two major battles. Chancellorsville and Gettysburg after that they were deemed too barbaric to use. These were dumped by the 2nd New Hampshire regiment of the 3rd corps Army of the Potomac a day before the battle began.
 

Attachments

  • 20260221_164136.webp
    20260221_164136.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • 20260221_162239.webp
    20260221_162239.webp
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • 20260221_171434.webp
    20260221_171434.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good recovery, and thanks for the post as I learnt something today.
 
Looks like a good hunt. I'd love to find a jhook some day. How did they explode?
 
Looks like a good hunt. I'd love to find a jhook some day. How did they explode?
Thanks buddy. They had a capsule that held a small charge of explosive substance called fulminate of murcury. There's a fuse train of slow burning black powder in it. In theory when fired it would take a second to a second and a half to reach the bursting charge. It would blow up into several small jagged pieces inflicting terrible wounds. They were experimenting with new weapons & only used these rounds in two major battles Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. They quit using them because they deemed them too barbaric for use. Mine are Gettysburg bullets. Here's a couple photos of these bullets cleaned up. I might add the Federal government only bought 110,000 of two calibers total during the whole war. They're pretty rare bullets.
 

Attachments

  • 20260221_201250.webp
    20260221_201250.webp
    402.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20260221_201222.webp
    20260221_201222.webp
    452.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20241016_145526.webp
    20241016_145526.webp
    628.8 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom