T2 SE Upgrade - First Outing

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the privilege of hunting a very historic property here in the Shenandoah Valley yesterday. Dates to the very early 1800's, slave quarters present, beautiful federal style brick home, circa 1830, Phil Sheridan paid a visit during his "Burning" raid of 1864 and torched a bank barn, there's an old mill site and raceway on the property and several Confederate soldier diaries make mention of visiting the property during the WBTS. A number of Indian artifacts have been found there as well. This was also my first opportunity to use my Teknetics T2 SE with the new upgrade. I must admit, I've been a lukewarm believer in the T2 up until now. Though I've been pleased with its performance in clean, open fields for relic hunting, I've found that it's just too unstable and noisy for me to use anywhere else. This could just be my personal likings and preferences, but that was my experience.

But I noticed a significant difference yesterday. The machine runs MUCH, MUCH quieter with the new software/firmware - night and day difference. It also seems more stable and able to "hold" a good signal on a target better than before the upgrade. I was also impressed with the boost mode performance and its ability to make an iffy signal a solid, repeatable one. One example of that is the small colonial flat button below. It was a bit bouncy and scratchy running in disc at 90 sensitivity, 9 on disc and with 2+ tones. But when I switched over to BP (boost mode), the signal held clear at a solid 78. Dug the target and at a little over 8" down, found the button laying on its side. Also pulled out the larger button nearby.

So far, I'm impressed with the upgrade and hope to return to that site soon.

buttons2 ch.jpg buttons1 ch.jpg

PS - notice to those who know me - I've changed my screen name from "Old Stonewall" to "Valley Ranger." This is due, in part, to honor the Confederate unit (the "Valley Rangers") that mustered in at my hometown of Waynesboro, VA in April of 1861.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really appreciate your sharing the info. I, as a whole, adore my T2 SE. It is by far and away the best detector I have ever used. There is no doubt it would be categorized as a little "HIGH STRUNG" though. Still waiting to hear more from others, but seriously considering the upgrade. Would love to hear some test garden results on depth. As most of us know, depth is one of the machines strongest attributes. I have a few coins intentionally buried at what I feel is near max depth for it. They allow me to play with settings to see if performance is lost or gained with certain settings. Hope to hear more (and see more) in the near future.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really appreciate your sharing the info. I, as a whole, adore my T2 SE. It is by far and away the best detector I have ever used. There is no doubt it would be categorized as a little "HIGH STRUNG" though. Still waiting to hear more from others, but seriously considering the upgrade. Would love to hear some test garden results on depth. As most of us know, depth is one of the machines strongest attributes. I have a few coins intentionally buried at what I feel is near max depth for it. They allow me to play with settings to see if performance is lost or gained with certain settings. Hope to hear more (and see more) in the near future.

You're welcome TG. The one thing I wish they'd "fix" with the T2 are the tone differences. Again, this is likely personal preference, but there's not enough "high" in the high tones for me - they sound too much like a mid tone and I sometimes have difficulty catching that quick "high" tone on a small target. But, as noted, I am pleased with the upgrade so far. I also took advantage of extending the warranty which was a nice deal.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post.

Do you prefer the T2 W/Upgrade Out Do your Duce.

P.s. I admire your Screen name Change.
Davers

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Post.

Do you prefer the T2 W/Upgrade Out Do your Duce.

P.s. I admire your Screen name Change.
Davers

I've not used the XP Deus enough to make that call. My gut is that the Deus is still the superior unit, once you learn the machine. I intend to go an all day hunt very soon at a colonial site and I'm going to use both machines so I can compare. Thanks for looking.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very happy to see that the upgraded machine is serving you well. Though I have loved the T2 SE since day one I do believe it is perfectly suited to my normal hunting conditions. I hunt lots of sites that are very far from civilization and that aren't too trashy. I also hunt lots of early areas with very deep targets. So that said it has been a monster for me and far exceeded my expectations. I have been thinking that this upgrade could really make believers out of folks like you that have sites that may be very trashy or are susceptible to emi issues. I really hope you kill it with that great machine. Good luck buddy and nice gesture with the name

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm very happy to see that the upgraded machine is serving you well. Though I have loved the T2 SE since day one I do believe it is perfectly suited to my normal hunting conditions. I hunt lots of sites that are very far from civilization and that aren't too trashy. I also hunt lots of early areas with very deep targets. So that said it has been a monster for me and far exceeded my expectations. I have been thinking that this upgrade could really make believers out of folks like you that have sites that may be very trashy or are susceptible to emi issues. I really hope you kill it with that great machine. Good luck buddy and nice gesture with the name

Thanks Ahab!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks.

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What ya need to do is get yer arse across the mountain and dig one day. :)
Been curious about the upgrade but I'm skittish as I've heard that it calms the machine a lot.
I like to run my t2 at the brink of insanity.
And when run slow and low is super deep.
Nice finds

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Richard, they did a good job on the update of the F75, T2, F75 LTD, & T2 SE. I agree it was well worth the money. Nice relics. HH my friend, Q.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been curious about the upgrade but I'm skittish as I've heard that it calms the machine a lot.
Nice finds

The beauty is that you can switch it between the upgraded mode and the original software from what I understand

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds

Is that an official invitation James? :laughing7: Yes, I ran it on the brink of insanity too - mine! I don't believe the new "calmness" is supposed to hurt the depth capability any. I just had a lot of trouble with all the pops and squeals before. Don't get me wrong, I still used it quite a bit, but preferred it in clean areas. The new manual advises a faster swing speed - saying it ID's more accurately and picks up smaller targets than swinging slower - with the exception of being in the boost mode, then they recommend a bit slower speed. Other than that, it says it was designed for fast swingin'.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Richard, they did a good job on the update of the F75, T2, F75 LTD, & T2 SE. I agree it was well worth the money. Nice relics. HH my friend, Q.

Yep, I believe so Quindy. Thanks!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The beauty is that you can switch it between the upgraded mode and the original software from what I understand

Yes, that's correct.

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that an official invitation James? :laughing7: Yes, I ran it on the brink of insanity too - mine! I don't believe the new "calmness" is supposed to hurt the depth capability any. I just had a lot of trouble with all the pops and squeals before. Don't get me wrong, I still used it quite a bit, but preferred it in clean areas. The new manual advises a faster swing speed - saying it ID's more accurately and picks up smaller targets than swinging slower - with the exception of being in the boost mode, then they recommend a bit slower speed. Other than that, it says it was designed for fast swingin'.

It's an open invite ;)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buttons and informative post. Second post I have read where the upgrade seemed to be a success. I just wish they had of realized this capacity when they originally sold them .
Sounds like good research and a beautiful place to hunt.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking about purchasing a New T2 and was wondering if the new ones come with the upgrade?
Thank you!
Rusty
Ahh! I see that it does after a quick check at bigboyshobbies.com
Best of luck with the upgraded machine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking about purchasing a New T2 and was wondering if the new ones come with the upgrade?
Thank you!
Rusty
Ahh! I see that it does after a quick check at bigboyshobbies.com
Best of luck with the upgraded machine!

My understanding is that all the new ones being sold come with the new software/firmware.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread