T2 SE Upgrade - First Outing

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the privilege of hunting a very historic property here in the Shenandoah Valley yesterday. Dates to the very early 1800's, slave quarters present, beautiful federal style brick home, circa 1830, Phil Sheridan paid a visit during his "Burning" raid of 1864 and torched a bank barn, there's an old mill site and raceway on the property and several Confederate soldier diaries make mention of visiting the property during the WBTS. A number of Indian artifacts have been found there as well. This was also my first opportunity to use my Teknetics T2 SE with the new upgrade. I must admit, I've been a lukewarm believer in the T2 up until now. Though I've been pleased with its performance in clean, open fields for relic hunting, I've found that it's just too unstable and noisy for me to use anywhere else. This could just be my personal likings and preferences, but that was my experience.

But I noticed a significant difference yesterday. The machine runs MUCH, MUCH quieter with the new software/firmware - night and day difference. It also seems more stable and able to "hold" a good signal on a target better than before the upgrade. I was also impressed with the boost mode performance and its ability to make an iffy signal a solid, repeatable one. One example of that is the small colonial flat button below. It was a bit bouncy and scratchy running in disc at 90 sensitivity, 9 on disc and with 2+ tones. But when I switched over to BP (boost mode), the signal held clear at a solid 78. Dug the target and at a little over 8" down, found the button laying on its side. Also pulled out the larger button nearby.

So far, I'm impressed with the upgrade and hope to return to that site soon.

buttons2 ch.jpg buttons1 ch.jpg

PS - notice to those who know me - I've changed my screen name from "Old Stonewall" to "Valley Ranger." This is due, in part, to honor the Confederate unit (the "Valley Rangers") that mustered in at my hometown of Waynesboro, VA in April of 1861.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about purchasing a New T2 and was wondering if the new ones come with the upgrade?
Thank you!
Rusty
Ahh! I see that it does after a quick check at bigboyshobbies.com
Best of luck with the upgraded machine!

Depending where you buy it and just to be safe you may just want to verify that it's upgraded as I'm sure there's still some old stock out there there has not been upgraded.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depending where you buy it and just to be safe you may just want to verify that it's upgraded as I'm sure there's still some old stock out there there has not been upgraded.

Good point Ahab, glad you corrected that. I was thinking everything being shipped now would include the enhancements.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Ahab, glad you corrected that. I was thinking everything being shipped now would include the enhancements.

My fear would be that from a retailer such as say Cabelas or somewhere like that you probably wouldn't get an upgraded machine . But I would assume that most of the actual md shops and the guys on Tnet would certainly have the upgraded model. Just would hate to see anybody not get what they expected

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad thing is everything under a F75 and T2 is still stuck with those same noise and EMI issues. No relief in sight. Also makes my F5 worth less now. Great if you have a F75 or T2. If not, sucks to be you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread