Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with above posts...
The clothing by itself is no big deal...
BUT beings those badges were on em... something is not right.
This is not something a LEO would just pitch out...
They could have been stolen... made and used in some crime...
Or someone's well made Halloween costume...

Regardless... you did the right thing.

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am ex-law enforcement......you cannot wear that but its not illegal to own it. There are collectors of law enforcement attire and patches. I am surprised because they left the badge on it. Usually those are removed & shredded before they are discarded. You could have the police patches & badge removed and then wear them. They are expensive jackets.
I have a Fl Department of corrections jacket I found at the car wash, gore tex, very nice jacket. First thing I did was remove the patches, not doing so is asking for trouble!

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the same exact simple reason I mentioned above in the very first sentence.

But congrats on asking the dumbest question of the year so far. Must hurt being that special.

Damn people troll any kind of forum these days.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laws may vary by state. As long as you aren't 'presenting yourself to be LE', you can legally wear it in my state. But you will probably be the subject of unwanted attention if you do. On the other hand, going to a Halloween party or such, no one should hassle you.
I think selling to patch collectors is a good move to turn it into something useful.

And yes, I am former LE also. I asked this question in my training when I saw someone who I knew to be former LE wearing clothing from his employment and was told what I wrote above.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an old cruiser and get yourself some free hotdogs, Frank and Dennis style, also pick yourself up a junkyard cat, Agent Jack Bauer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread