What's new

Talk about the spot that keeps on giving.....My 1st dug Flying Eagle cent

UnEarthed72

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
949
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Went on a few hour hunt today with Val aka.Disciple,she called me saying where are you(i slept in lol)my bad...25 minutes later i was there.She found some good nickles including a Buffalo,cant remember what else she may have found right now,but my finds are below and got an AWSOME FIRST i was pretty stoked with that find lemme tell ya!! Enjoy.

a piece of old pottery i found while digging a signal(pretty recognizable pattern)
10-18-07 pottery frag..webp
10-18-07 pottery frag. rev..webp
The coins i ended up with .73cents in clad 2 nickles a 40,57 one 45 wheatie..a whats it(maybe a coin dunno yet..size/shape of a penny)
10-18-07.webp
10-18-07 2rev..webp
And lastly 10 min. before we left i got a zinc/ring signal dug 3 and a half inches down i scored another first a sweet 1857 Flying Eagle cent Woooohhhoooo i was stoked..i thought about charging Val her Buff. nickle just to see it lol..j/k
10-18-07 Best.webp
10-18-07 Best rev..webp

I'll be the first to say this hobby is proving what my destiny is and i think its MD'ing I'm so fortunate to have been interested enough to begin MD'ing and it's definitely very rewarding.....All of the pics are uncleaned as of yet,when i clean the coins up i will re post those pics so you can see them

thanks for looking
Stay safe and HH
~Shawn~
 
Upvote 0
Again....this is a BEAUTIFUL example of a FE that was DUG! That is a nice one. Good job my friend! I think it looks terrific regardless of the quality of the camera or photos ;)
 
UnEarthed... Great job!!!

I remember when you were wondering how to find someplace to detect when you were new here...

Congrats!!

Was that found with the whites or bounty hunter?
 
great find......

that coin looks to be in great shape...

That one is still on my list on firsts not yet found !!!!

3S
 
Montana Jim said:
UnEarthed... Great job!!!

I remember when you were wondering how to find someplace to detect when you were new here...

Congrats!!

Was that found with the whites or bounty hunter?

LOL jim...i think i found me a sweet spot..or this hobby is being very kind to me,most of my finds have come from that very site as well as 2 other members i hunt with there.
I found it with the PrizmII and it ranged out in the zinc/ring/bottlecap zone....this is what the three Indian Heads i found so far pegged out at also.
 
i bet that pottery was very cool , was told they call it stoneware , i found a bunch of pieces in the woods the other day

grats on some cool finds
 
Thanks everyone for checking my post out,and glad to share it with you
 
Wow, Shawn, congrats to you on your first Flying Eagle penny! It looks great!! :o

I know what you mean about detecting all the way back to your car, just looking for one more signal to dig...I do it all the time. ;)
A Great hobby indeed!!

Hope you find some other goodies at your site.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Congrats on the Flying Eagle! HH, Mike
 
Shawn .. i am still excited for you on the flying eagle. Just the look on your face when you pulled it out of the dirt is enough to know when you've found something nice! It cleaned up real nice. Well done Shawn.

♫ Valarie ♫
 
Nice find. I have never seen one. Now I want to find one..lol :o
 
What a beautiful coin! Congrats on digging such a hard to find coin that's on everyone's list.
 
congrats on that flying eagle. I hope to one day find one of those.

WTG

Funkman
 
kevo said:
nice find...i'd throw it into some peroxide a bit more, looks like it will clean up very well.

No i dont want to chance peroxide..for me soaking it in olive/veg oil both work for a while the crud falls off with little or no needing to do anything other than rinse it in soap,warm water and dry it...it's pretty clean after soaking over night and it has lil to no crud and a green patina on it ...I think i will leave it like that.

My pics dont do it justice at all,and if i can get some better pics of it i will post them as an update

thanks
Shawn
 
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:
nice find...i'd throw it into some peroxide a bit more, looks like it will clean up very well.

No i dont want to chance peroxide..for me soaking it in olive/veg oil both work for a while the crud falls off with little or no needing to do anything other than rinse it in soap,warm water and dry it...it's pretty clean after soaking over night and it has lil to no crud and a green patina on it ...I think i will leave it like that.

My pics dont do it justice at all,and if i can get some better pics of it i will post them as an update

thanks
Shawn

Excactly apart from the oil bit :)
 
CRUSADER said:
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:
nice find...i'd throw it into some peroxide a bit more, looks like it will clean up very well.

No i dont want to chance peroxide..for me soaking it in olive/veg oil both work for a while the crud falls off with little or no needing to do anything other than rinse it in soap,warm water and dry it...it's pretty clean after soaking over night and it has lil to no crud and a green patina on it ...I think i will leave it like that.

My pics dont do it justice at all,and if i can get some better pics of it i will post them as an update

thanks
Shawn

Excactly apart from the oil bit :)

Are you saying that you would put it in peroxide?...i think thats how i read it
 
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:
nice find...i'd throw it into some peroxide a bit more, looks like it will clean up very well.

No i dont want to chance peroxide..for me soaking it in olive/veg oil both work for a while the crud falls off with little or no needing to do anything other than rinse it in soap,warm water and dry it...it's pretty clean after soaking over night and it has lil to no crud and a green patina on it ...I think i will leave it like that.

My pics dont do it justice at all,and if i can get some better pics of it i will post them as an update

thanks
Shawn

First, OUTSTANDING!! I have an approximate idea of how you felt when you dug up that beauty. I found an 1858 'fleagle' earlier this year. Was it kinda fun when you saw the sideways birdie and "1857"??

I put mine into olive oil before reading how-to's from people about peroxide. Once you put them in oil, I've read that peroxide isn't effective. And I'm not sure I dare to risk my 1800's copper coins with peroxide anyway.

If you have a digital camera, get the brightest light you can shining on the coin from above & slightly off to one side. Set your camera for Macro and Suppressed Flash; shoot from 6 inches away and hold the cam steady if you don't have a stand for it. Your pics will have good detail.
I'll attach a recent pic of my 1858 to demonstrate (I beg your pardon for putting it in your thread, I think it's value-added to illustrate the photography text). I get good detail, but I don't have enough light to show the fine brown color.
I'll be on the lookout for any further pics of your fine 1857.

CONGRATULATIONS and Welcome to the Fleagle Club! Ain't life grand?
 

Attachments

  • 1858 Flying Eagle Cent Composite.webp
    1858 Flying Eagle Cent Composite.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 314
UnEarthed72 said:
CRUSADER said:
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:
nice find...i'd throw it into some peroxide a bit more, looks like it will clean up very well.

No i dont want to chance peroxide..for me soaking it in olive/veg oil both work for a while the crud falls off with little or no needing to do anything other than rinse it in soap,warm water and dry it...it's pretty clean after soaking over night and it has lil to no crud and a green patina on it ...I think i will leave it like that.

My pics dont do it justice at all,and if i can get some better pics of it i will post them as an update

thanks
Shawn

Excactly apart from the oil bit :)

Are you saying that you would put it in peroxide?...i think thats how i read it

Nope, water & thats it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom