What's new

Flying Eagle Cent!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2020
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
47,608
Golden Thread
1
Location
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the station/village from the day before yesterday and pulled my first Flying Eagle cent!
Time was tough on it, but at least the date is readable, 1858. The reverse is pretty toasted.

IMG_1449.webp

IMG_1453.webp
IMG_1460.webp


Also found this weird little thing. Still has some gold plating on it.
IMG_1456.webp
IMG_1457.webp
IMG_1458.webp


Cool foundation made from RR ties:
IMG_1437.webp


Big trunk corner:
IMG_1438.webp
IMG_1439.webp


Messin' with the dinosaurs:
IMG_1441.webp
IMG_1442.webp


Some kinda old thing :dontknow: :
IMG_1443.webp


A few buttons presented themselves:
IMG_1459.webp


Well, that's it for today's excursion.
 
Upvote 39
I went back to the station/village from the day before yesterday and pulled my first Flying Eagle cent!
Time was tough on it, but at least the date is readable, 1858. The reverse is pretty toasted.

View attachment 2255371
View attachment 2255358View attachment 2255359

Also found this weird little thing. Still has some gold plating on it.
View attachment 2255360View attachment 2255361View attachment 2255362

Cool foundation made from RR ties:
View attachment 2255363

Big trunk corner:
View attachment 2255364View attachment 2255365

Messin' with the dinosaurs:
View attachment 2255366View attachment 2255367

Some kinda old thing :dontknow: :
View attachment 2255368

A few buttons presented themselves:
View attachment 2255369

Well, that's it for today's excursion.
What a great coin you found, brother! Too bad it's not in better condition. Keep looking around there.
 
I have yet to find an FE. Congrats! :icon_thumright:
 
I went back to the station/village from the day before yesterday and pulled my first Flying Eagle cent!
Time was tough on it, but at least the date is readable, 1858. The reverse is pretty toasted.

View attachment 2255371
View attachment 2255358View attachment 2255359

Also found this weird little thing. Still has some gold plating on it.
View attachment 2255360View attachment 2255361View attachment 2255362

Cool foundation made from RR ties:
View attachment 2255363

Big trunk corner:
View attachment 2255364View attachment 2255365

Messin' with the dinosaurs:
View attachment 2255366View attachment 2255367

Some kinda old thing :dontknow: :
View attachment 2255368

A few buttons presented themselves:
View attachment 2255369

Well, that's it for today's excursion.
FEC don't come around very often. Congrats! That's a really nice find....so is the lizard. Love that pic.
 
I went back to the station/village from the day before yesterday and pulled my first Flying Eagle cent!
Time was tough on it, but at least the date is readable, 1858. The reverse is pretty toasted.

View attachment 2255371
View attachment 2255358View attachment 2255359

Also found this weird little thing. Still has some gold plating on it.
View attachment 2255360View attachment 2255361View attachment 2255362

Cool foundation made from RR ties:
View attachment 2255363

Big trunk corner:
View attachment 2255364View attachment 2255365

Messin' with the dinosaurs:
View attachment 2255366View attachment 2255367

Some kinda old thing :dontknow: :
View attachment 2255368

A few buttons presented themselves:
View attachment 2255369

Well, that's it for today's excursion.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
I feel your passion for history in your posts my friend, love your site pics! :thumbsup:
Do you think the Flying Eagle Cent was in a fire, that's what first struck me when I saw it.
The decorative round piece looks like the top of a Victorian Era hat or hair pin.

What's the name of your little detecting buddy... he looks delicious. :laughing7:
Dave
 
I feel your passion for history in your posts my friend, love your site pics! :thumbsup:
Do you think the Flying Eagle Cent was in a fire, that's what first struck me when I saw it.
The decorative round piece looks like the top of a Victorian Era hat or hair pin.

What's the name of your little detecting buddy... he looks delicious. :laughing7:
Dave
Thanks Dave!
Yeah, all three coins I've found at this site (1926-s buffalo nickel, 1878 IHC and this FE cent) look to have been in a fire. The history I was able to find on this site is very sparse. I was only able to find it at all because it is mentioned in the book "Emigrant Shadows" which lists all of the emigrant California trail markers, of which one is located nearby (see pic).
I do love history and read a lot of books on Nevada and California history.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1445.webp
    IMG_1445.webp
    2 MB · Views: 23
Thanks Dave!
Yeah, all three coins I've found at this site (1926-s buffalo nickel, 1878 IHC and this FE cent) look to have been in a fire. The history I was able to find on this site is very sparse. I was only able to find it at all because it is mentioned in the book "Emigrant Shadows" which lists all of the emigrant California trail markers, of which one is located nearby (see pic).
I do love history and read a lot of books on Nevada and California history.
In 2018, I visited the California Historical Society Museum in San Francisco. This was probably one of the most beautiful museums I've ever visited. I was so upset when I heard The California Historical Society was dissolved and transferred its collections to the Stanford University Libraries in January 2025. Here are a couple of pics from our trip to San Fran., I'm the guy with the glasses on the tour bus. :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • 20190815_154033.webp
    20190815_154033.webp
    224.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190817_183942.webp
    20190817_183942.webp
    298.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I went back to the station/village from the day before yesterday and pulled my first Flying Eagle cent!
Time was tough on it, but at least the date is readable, 1858. The reverse is pretty toasted.

View attachment 2255371
View attachment 2255358View attachment 2255359

Also found this weird little thing. Still has some gold plating on it.
View attachment 2255360View attachment 2255361View attachment 2255362

Cool foundation made from RR ties:
View attachment 2255363

Big trunk corner:
View attachment 2255364View attachment 2255365

Messin' with the dinosaurs:
View attachment 2255366View attachment 2255367

Some kinda old thing :dontknow: :
View attachment 2255368

A few buttons presented themselves:
View attachment 2255369

Well, that's it for today's excursion.
Love the landscape, your lizard friend seemed quite comfortable. Best post I've seen in a long time...your lizard friend stole the show!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom