Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Delta 4000, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning,

I am hoping someone might have experience with a titanium ring. I was contacted to look for a men's wedding band made of titanium in a local park. My Google-fu skills suggest a target ID of around 55. Does anyone have direct experience and can advise? I am using my coin shooting program with audio response at 4 to let me know if it is shallow which a recent dropped ring would be.

Thanks in advance.

JC

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Target ID also cares what frequency you are operating the Deus at or whether you have ID Norm set to "on" which makes all target ID's ring up as if you were using 18 khz.

Though titanium has a relatively low specific conductivity (between iron and aluminum), the thickness of the ring would also matter as far as the target ID is concerned.

From what I can surmise it looks like a men's titanium ring would ring up like a gold ring, pull tab, or US Nickel - so focus on targets that give similar target ID's as those objects for whatever frequency you are operating at: Typically: mid-50's at 12 khz (with ID NORM off) and mid-60's at 18 khz or slightly lower. I would search at 18 khz because that will hit the best on small, mid-conductive jewelry and it should be a relatively shallow target as a recent drop (therefore, the lower deeper frequencies would not be required). HTH.

OP
OP
M

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Target ID also cares what frequency you are operating the Deus at or whether you have ID Norm set to "on" which makes all target ID's ring up as if you were using 18 khz.

Though titanium has a relatively low specific conductivity (between iron and aluminum), the thickness of the ring would also matter as far as the target ID is concerned.

From what I can surmise it looks like a men's titanium ring would ring up like a gold ring, pull tab, or US Nickel - so focus on targets that give similar target ID's as those objects for whatever frequency you are operating at: Typically: mid-50's at 12 khz (with ID NORM off) and mid-60's at 18 khz or slightly lower. I would search at 18 khz because that will hit the best on small, mid-conductive jewelry and it should be a relatively shallow target as a recent drop (therefore, the lower deeper frequencies would not be required). HTH.

Thanks for the info. I have normalization on and working at 18 Khz.

Should I use my 9 inch HF coil and go with a higher freq to search?

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JC - because the target should be shallow and strong, probably not absolutely necessary, but yeah, I would give the HF Coil a go. Use the 26 kHz Frequency (good middle of the road starting point) and since ID norm doesn't apply to the HF Coil, bump up your expected target ID to the 70's, though I would dig any strong targets that ID in the middle 50's up. If the park is littered with pull tabs, you may have your work cut out for you since they will ID right in the expected range sorry to say. Try the lower and/or higher frewuency setting of the HF coil if you are not having any luck. Shouldn't have to switch to your lf coil at all. Good luck and hope you come through with the ring find for your friend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JC - because the target should be shallow and strong, probably not absolutely necessary, but yeah, I would give the HF Coil a go. Use the 26 kHz Frequency (good middle of the road starting point) and since ID norm doesn't apply to the HF Coil, bump up your expected target ID to the 70's, though I would dig any strong targets that ID in the middle 50's up. If the park is littered with pull tabs, you may have your work cut out for you since they will ID right in the expected range sorry to say. Try the lower and/or higher frewuency setting of the HF coil if you are not having any luck. Shouldn't have to switch to your lf coil at all. Good luck and hope you come through with the ring find for your friend.

Thanks again. Just about to leave work to head out and start the search.

OP
OP
M

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No joy but managed to find three other rings and a silver bracelet. Going back again tomorrow after the thanksgiving weekend here in the Great White North....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread