Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I located a trash deposit area at the site of a tavern that was active from 1831 to 1862. The trash layer is down from one to two and a half feet deep. This past Saturday I opened a couple holes in this area with the help of my lovely assistant, Emily. A lot of work but the Spanish Silver made it worth the effort.

Emiliy-1.jpg

Hole.jpg

As usual, when I open these holes, there are plenty of nails and pottery shards, but very few non ferrous targets. Luckily, one of the non ferrous targets turned out to be silver!
Half Real front.jpg

Half Real back.jpg

We collected most of the pottery shards as well.
Ceramics.jpg

Finally, here is a picture of the tavern and the couple that ran it.
Tavern.jpeg

Mr. and Mrs.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 72
Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I located a trash deposit area at the site of a tavern that was active from 1831 to 1862. The trash layer is down from one to two and a half feet deep. This past Saturday I opened a couple holes in this area with the help of my lovely assistant, Emily. A lot of work but the Spanish Silver made it worth the effort.

View attachment 1991033
View attachment 1991035

As usual, when I open these holes, there are plenty of nails and pottery shards, but very few non ferrous targets. Luckily, one of the non ferrous targets turned out to be silver!
View attachment 1991036

View attachment 1991037

View attachment 1991038

View attachment 1991039
View attachment 1991040
Great finds! Now go back and get some more.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

View attachment 1991033
View attachment 1991035

View attachment 1991036

View attachment 1991037

View attachment 1991038

View attachment 1991039
View attachment 1991040
Very nice! Lots of history in our region!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Steve. I'd spend some time digging a hole like that for a Spanish silver. In fact, in my early days of detecting I probably did !! I have since, refined my technique. Great looking coin.
Thanks. This place has given up a variety of coins - Half Cent, Large Cents,
2 cents, flying eagle, fatty IHPs, seated dime, and now Spanish silver. I'm convinced there is a trime or half dime down deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread