Technically I Wasnt Really Detecting, But I Played It Safe Anyway

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Technically I Wasn't Really Detecting, But I Played It Safe Anyway

I headed out this morning to take a guy some tomato plants and to buy a detector from him, a Fisher CZ 70 Pro. I wanted to try it out before purchasing, so I got his permission to grid search his front yard with it. Man that sucker is deep and was nailing coins super hard at 6 inches or so. After about 10 minutes of swinging it I told him that wanted to buy it.

I paid the guy for the detector and headed for home. Then it dawned on me that none of the coins that I found were silver. Lucky for me on my way home I saw a girl out in her front yard with her 3 year old boy. I hit the brakes!

I introduce myself and asked permission to detect her front yard. She said go ahead and detect the back yard as well if I wanted to. She told me that the house was built in 1951.

I started a grid search of the front yard and found over a dozen wheat pennies but no silver. I got a funky nickel audio signal and popped a Jefferson nickel. I scanned the hole again and got a beaver tail VDI reading. Remembering that war nickels sometimes read a little higher, I dug down deeper and popped a 1943 war nickel. That made me feel better.

I went around in the back yard and dug around 5 more wheat pennies before getting my search coil over a 1942 Mercury dime. That's all I needed, so I thanked the girl and headed for home.

This was my 42nd hunt for the year and my silver coin total for the year now stands at 129. All done without getting skunked on a single hunt.

My F75DST detector settings: 9.0, Sensitivity 80, DE Mode, 3H Tones, Disc Level 0, GB 67.

tabman

F75DST%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20001_zpsx45esyoc.jpg

F75DST%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20003_zpsotday4j0.jpg

F75DST%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20006_zpsrh7lvrsz.jpg

F75DST%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20007_zpsayijgbad.jpg

F75DST%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20015_zps4lwjq48w.jpg

F75DST%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20011_zpsqgellqnm.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These posts of "fields" of silver are killing me. All I ever find is old wheat backs. I think I need to hunt property that had richer people living there :).

Last edited:

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way. Those are some damn fine coins you found. I don't know why but I like to find Nickels...

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you clean your war nickels? i can't seem to get them shining again.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enough of silver... let's see some GOLD!

Very nice & thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you clean your war nickels? i can't seem to get them shining again.

Clean them with Naval Jelly and a toothbrush, then buff them with a microfiber cloth.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enough of silver... let's see some GOLD!

Very nice & thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm digging a lot of low conductors in search of gold. I have 4 gold rings so far this year. It's about time for another one to pop up.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These posts of "fields" of silver are killing me. All I ever find is old wheat backs. I think I need to hunt property that had richer people living there :).

The old timers around here talk about finding big pocket fulls of silver coins on every hunt in years past. Most of the public areas have been depleted of silver coins. It's time to switch over to private property detecting or start hunting gold rings.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The army guy is solid too...nice!

I wonder if the paint contains lead that they painted the lead soldier with? LOL I love finding those old toy soldiers and cap guns.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way. Those are some damn fine coins you found. I don't know why but I like to find Nickels...

Thanks. I'm with you, I love finding Buffalo and War nickels.

tabman

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs tabman, nice to see the streak continue. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on continuing the streak! That F75 is doing the trick!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread