Tejon and Cortez--What are the differences

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hello everyone,
I have been reading many posts on all the detector forums and it seems that owners are all loyal to the brand the use. I like the idea of a lifetime warranty that the Tesoros have and the way folks say they compare to other "big" names. I don't know anything about these two machines. If you don't mind what are the differences in the two? Price,weight,"bells and whistles",ease of use,learning curve,etc. It sounds like either is a good choice. I would be out coin and jewelry hunting mainly. I don't know what kind of "relics" I may find here in cornfield country (Northwestern Illinois) but if they are here, maybe that too. Thank you all very much for your input. Now, off to search the web for more info on Tesoro dealers.

Hat_man

OP
OP
H

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hello again,
After reading some more I think I am leaning more towards a Vaquero or a Cibola. Could you please compare these two units? The Tejon or Cortez I think would be a better upgrade unit after I learn the in and outs of detecting. I don't think I would ever not like detecting, but a smaller price might help keep the peace on the home front, if you know what I mean. Thanks again for all your help.

Hat_man

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
If your ground is nuetral and you don't plan to travel to hot ground areas, the Cibola. It is easier to get to know and learn and you don't have to worry about adjusting the ground balance as your hunting. Just turn on, set the disc where you want, and go. The Tejon is a better choice if you have mineralized soil, lots of iron red soil or fields that have been fertilized heavily for the past 50 years. The Tejon can be hard for someone not knowing how to set up GB, but once you got it down, it's a hard machine to beat. Since you you said you may upgrade later, the Cibola would be a good one to start.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Gribnitz wrote the Cibola is a very good detector for milder soils (as it comes stock). If you have problems the ground balance can be adjusted by Tesoro (free) if you send it to them. If you ever need to send it in for ground balancing, make sure you send a packet of your soil along with the Cibola. Tesoro will then match the Cibola perfectly to your soil.

But you probably will find the Cibola works great in your soil the way it comes new.

I personally think the Tejon is by far the best VLF detector Tesoro makes.

One more thing, when I set my ground balance on the Tejon I rarely have to do it again at that same site. The Tejon is rock solid and has zero drift. I travel all over Michigan and usually the ground balance stays close to the same setting.

I'll also add that the Cortes is also a great detector but it only ground balances in all-metal mode, not in discrimination mode.

All the Tesoro models are good for the money but if I couldn't get another Tejon I wouldn't take $2,000 for mine.

HH,

Badger

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Tesoro's web site for all the features of the detectors. Tesoro makes great detectors, it is up to you which detector will fit your needs. Good luck!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're still out there hat_man, one thing I need to clarify is when I say the Cortes ground balances only in all-metal mode I mean the ground balance isn't carried over to the discrimination mode. See, with manual ground balance detectors you need to hear a threshold sound in order to ground balance. Thus you ground balance in all-metal mode (threshold tone) and it automatically adjusts the discrimination mode so when you switch over you're good ta go.

It seems that with the Cortes (and other models) Tesoro figured ground balance was only needed in all-metal mode. This is very odd and I have never figured this out.

Today I would be using a Cortes if when you ground balanced in all-metal mode it carried over to the discrimination mode. This is why I went with the Tejon which does carry the GB over into the discrimination mode.

But one thing is very important, get a machine that deals with ground minerals. The factory preset GB machines are hit and miss at best. If I take my Tejon and purposely set it way too positive or negative on the ground balance I will be wasting my time at some sites. I may only be able to detect a dime at 4 inches deep and at one site I'm now hunting they start at about 5 inches deep. When I properly set the GB I can detect a dime at that site at 8-9 inches. That's the difference ground balance makes.

Badger

OP
OP
H

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: Tejon and Cortez--What are the differences Thanks to everyone

Thank you all for the advice. I've been so busy with work and kids that I haven't had time to get back here. I think I am going with a Cibola. After I learn and get used to a "turn on and go" machine I will probably upgrade to a Tejon. I am probably going to use TC Metal Detectors for a dealer. I don't seem to find anyone around here and I have heard so many wonderful things here about them. Thakns again for all the help.

Hat_man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread