Tejon vs Lobo depth difference

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
And another question: I found a 2nd hand tejon which is 6.5 yo.

could these older tejons be somehow worse than the present generation ?

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to check out the side by side comparison of the Vaquero vs Etrac on youtube,That was a very eye opening review,Im seriously thinking about giving the tesoro machines a try.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
You may want to check out the side by side comparison of the Vaquero vs Etrac on youtube,That was a very eye opening review,Im seriously thinking about giving the tesoro machines a try.

thanks but I was lead to believe that tejon is the deepest tesoro detector, all I need is depth.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't noticed too much of a difference between the depth of the Tejon compared to the depth of the Vaquero when super tuned. I Know the Lobo goes deep but I'm not sure if its deeper than the Vaq or the Tejon. Terry Soloman will see this post and probably give you a better idea if there is a difference.

Good luck,

PTP

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
thanks but I was lead to believe that tejon is the deepest tesoro detector, all I need is depth.

Yes,i have owned the lobo st,vaquero,tejon.The tejon is way deeper than the lobo st.The lobo st is first and foremost a gold detector that can be used for conventional detecting.The vaquero runs pretty close to the tejon.The Tejon is considered the deepest detector.The tejon has some nice features also.Two disc modes to check range of conductivity,output tone control,vco mode,all metal slow retune mode,all metal fast retune mode.The tejon excels as a deep relic detector because of the high freq output.And makes for a excellent coin and jewelry detector.Amazing depth. o_O

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Yes,i have owned the lobo st,vaquero,tejon.The tejon is way deeper than the lobo st.The lobo st is first and foremost a gold detector that can be used for conventional detecting.The vaquero runs pretty close to the tejon.The Tejon is considered the deepest detector.The tejon has some nice features also.Two disc modes to check range of conductivity,output tone control,vco mode,all metal slow retune mode,all metal fast retune mode.The tejon excels as a deep relic detector because of the high freq output.And makes for a excellent coin and jewelry detector.Amazing depth. o_O

thanks, this is the answer I was looking for.

I'm a water hunter and most lakes in my area have been cleaned by me and others, so in order to find gold rings I need a deeper detector, and tejon will do just fine I hope

thanks again

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
thanks, this is the answer I was looking for.

I'm a water hunter and most lakes in my area have been cleaned by me and others, so in order to find gold rings I need a deeper detector, and tejon will do just fine I hope

thanks again

Perfect for that.Operating at 17khz.The Tejon hits gold bigtime.I know a couple of beach hunters including myself that choose to use the Tejon for this purpose,because it can dive so deep for gold.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Perfect for that.Operating at 17khz.The Tejon hits gold bigtime.I know a couple of beach hunters including myself that choose to use the Tejon for this purpose,because it can dive so deep for gold.

I will have to modify it though, making it waterproof is not going to be easy, so I will remove the control box and the battery compartments, put them in a waterfree box and put the box around my neck when I go in water.

I have a 12x10" coil for my lobo which is compatible with tejon and it has a long cable.

it's going to be awesome ;)

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
and also, I have just read something about the batteries for Tejon, I wonder whether it's true that premium batteries dramatically increase the results compared to shitty cheap AA batteries.
can anyone confirm/refute this plz ?

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always run Duracell and they seem to do the job right, I have run some raovac and they die much faster. I'm not sure I have really noticed any difference in depth, but the I don't have to change my batteries as often, which keeps me in the hunt that much longer.

PTP

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
and also, I have just read something about the batteries for Tejon, I wonder whether it's true that premium batteries dramatically increase the results compared to shitty cheap AA batteries.
can anyone confirm/refute this plz ?
Some say yes some say no.All i know is i have had good luck with good batteries.If you want the very best batteries look at the lithium batteries.These batteries also weigh 1/2 of a standard battery.Lithium batteries are the best out right now.Very expensive.But i am going to get some.Even though a detector circuit has a voltage regulator,the regulator has nothing to do with amps.Maintaining good amp flow to the detector is important.I don't want to play around with cheap batteries.Even rechargeables i want top notch.We are talking metal detectors here not flash lites.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Tejon is a deeper machine, but it requires more fine tuning than the LST because it's tweeked higher than the LST. In my area, I use the Tejon mainly with the 8" coil and smaller. Anything bigger and it overloads the machine, sometimes I can get away with the concentric 5.75". The LST is more stable and I can use the biggest coils anywhere, anytime.

As far as batteries go, I've had the best results with Energizers, they seem to last longer than Duracells. I've only used Energizer's in my collection of less lethal electronic weapons, and they last longer with Energizer also.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
thanks for the info, I will test the 10x5", 9x8" and the 12x10" and figure it all out.

Last question: I got a nice deal for a 6.5 year old tejon, what should I check it for considering it's quite old ?

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't really know how it's been treated, check it to see how it works on targets. I bought a used Diablo II several months ago, and it would't sound off on a nugget to save it's life. So I sent it back to Tesoro, they rematched the coil and the box for free, good as new.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
so I got the Tejon, very nice detector, ground balance was surprisingly easy to do. A piece of cake..
first impression is very positive, walked in a part and tested it with the stock coil and the 12x10 dd coil, not sure whether the larger coil is that much deeper.

Also tested a gold ring together with iron nails, it picks the gold with disc being set at iron, without the ring iron nails are not detected.

Tejon is a nice lightweight machine, will do just find in fresh water ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions