Tell the truth- hunt solo or with someone

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting about 2 years ago. Mostly civil war , picked over camp sites or very small skirmishes. Every once in a while, after doing research and detecting, I find a small campsite where one person can find a few artifacts. Would you share this with fellow detectors? Do you expect them to reciprocate? Being from the area I don't have problems with permission as do my fellow detectors. Go solo? What has been yalls experience?

Upvote 4
I enjoy the company of two buddies that I go with but got burned twice. I found a good spot through research and gained permission to hunt. I told one of my buddies where it was and made plans to go that weekend. When I found a merc, my friend said that I was only five feet away from where "his" buddy found a Morgan dollar. Turns out that he and his friend went there without me during the week and hit the spot for a few hours. It happened again a few weeks later. So now I keep it to myself until I've had a chance to hunt it for the first time by myself, then I'll invite my friend to come. I see it as a breach of etiquette but don't want to loose a 30 year friendship, so I hunt it once or twice, then invite them to my new spot.

that sucks...i'd be really pissed. some friend

Don't know why but it has been hard for me to find someone to hunt with here. I would share if I had someone to share with.:laughing7: 540-421-9684

Depends on the mood of the day.
Comfortable either way.

It's the few times I don't take my dog, that I miss.
She knows the routine, and wanders off on her own hunt.

Doesn't matter where we go, about 50% of the hunts, I'll look up, startled, as she will be nose to nose with me, with her find.

A ball ... the variety of "balls" she has found amazes me.
On the tough days, she might come back with a pine cone, the doggie equivalent of a flip-top.

Having her along increases the odds that someone is going to make a good find. :)

I just lost what took me I guess too long to post
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Expectations is what this should be titled

I enjoy seeing "real friends" find exciting finds and I have zero expectations of them giving me anything in return if they are on my permission.

I prefer to hunt alone. I used to do a lot of arrowhead hunting when I was younger, I find find good spots and take my friends with me. They started hitting them and cleaning them out when I was at work. After that I quit taking anyone with me.

I like hunting with my buddies whenever possible. Most situations are short notice for me so I go alone a lot. The only time I won't take anyone is permission spots or any other spots that could cause me any trouble. For example I was very comfortable at this one property and decided to bring a buddy along once and the wife of the owner came out angry almost having a panic attack and making dumb excuses why we had to leave immediately. Next time I seen the husband (very nice guy) he said it's best if I don't go around there since I upset his wife so bad by bringing a stranger around. He said if he would have been there at the time things may have turned out different. Funny thing is I called her first before we got there and she said yes. I think she thought I was bringing my 9 year old maybe. Who knows. My advice is to look at every spot differently and weigh the pros and cons of inviting someone. Sometimes it's nice to cherry pick a spot once for the first time and then let you and your friends hit it hard from that point on! [emoji2][emoji106]

I just started and I hunt alone. But mainly because no one I know has an interest in MDing. Most of them just stare blankly when I tell them what I am doing. So alone I am for now. Maybe when I get the hang of this I can meet up with someone close and hunt with them. Right now I am pitiful, I have no friends! LOL

Thats exactly my situation. I really enjoy hunting alone, being introverted and enjoying the ability to unwind is key. But being new to the hobby I havent met too many detectorists. I have been tryig to get my buddies into it but it hasnt worked yet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back