Tell the truth- hunt solo or with someone

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting about 2 years ago. Mostly civil war , picked over camp sites or very small skirmishes. Every once in a while, after doing research and detecting, I find a small campsite where one person can find a few artifacts. Would you share this with fellow detectors? Do you expect them to reciprocate? Being from the area I don't have problems with permission as do my fellow detectors. Go solo? What has been yalls experience?

Upvote 4

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I prefer going with my bud, regardless of where or what were hunting. We mainly CW relic hunt also. We never hunt close to one another and if he hits a hot spot he will holler and I will come over and watch him dig his targets, I do the same thing. I even turn my machine off when I get close to his area so as to not accidentally find that CS plate we're looking for . Our places are about wore too out after years and years of hunting and I guard them like the treasure they are and never invite anyone else to go with us. We are both retired and do gobs of research to find new places...d2

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with D2. I have a hunting partner that I detect with on a regular basis. That is not to say that we dont go our own ways every now and then, but we block out every Sunday morning to hunt together. I like the company, and if I dont find something, he usually does and that makes the odds better. We dont do Civil War sites, as we live in Illinois. We do hunt a lot of farm fields and homesteads, and both do the research to find the places.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off is this person a good friend,? would they do the same for for you? How long have you hunted together? Would they go hunt this spot on their own if you weren't around? You do this because you collect relics. I think its ok to go solo I dont think its selfish you are a Treasurer Hunter. If you have a partner and you are great friends and you both share sites and have an agreement is one thing. It all depends!!!!! I think you would know in your heart. whats right for you everyone is different!!! So can I go?????? LOL

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy detecting with other detectorists. As d2 stated, we share our sites and I think detecting with others helps me learn new techniques.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on who I guess. A good friend with the same interest? I think that would be great, and for two reasons, not only to share the hunt, but also IF something should happen, twisted ankle or whatever, you have back up. In the past I tried to share with members of a club, told them of a place I found in the woods with a few good things in it, also invited all to a claim I have; for them to pan and detect. Never anything in return, and that's OK. So for me it's solo.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy hunting with my Son, otherwise Solo as it is a "my time" kind of thing.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have enjoyed many hunts with members of this forum and others. I enjoy their company and the excitement of their finds. Yes, there has been some reciprocation where I have been invited to sites that they hunt or know about. Anyone I hunt with more than once, is usually someone I respect and enjoy hanging out with.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy both. But the solitude of detecting alone is what I need a lot of times.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like both now,hunted with a guy named Jim for 24 years .
Whenever i found a coin he would put it in his mouth and wash it a tell me the date....ya i miss him !
Gary

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being a fur trapper all my life, I've always traveled under the radar by myself. When I got into this hobby I did the same. But now I enjoy the company once in a while. I get as much out of someone elses excitement over a find as I do my own.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting with a friend is a great idea, until it bites you in the butt. "Hey, Tim, check out the tree shilling I just found 50 feet from where you were detecting!" "Oh, wait a minute, it's a cache of colonial silver!" "Thanks for taking me to your new spot!" And I'm thinking, "I wonder if my shovel is big enough to take him down with one shot?" LOL!

I know a few diggers, but we never hunt together. They probably have the same mentality as I do, so it works out okay. We like to update each other on our recent finds, but that's about it.

I also like chatting with other detectorists, but I always go my own way if I run into one. If someone is doing a spot I was going to hit, I usually say hello, ask them what they've found and hop back in my car and take off. Just the way I am, I guess.

Last edited:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only ever hunted with the kid and wouldn't change that for the world. I do enjoy my solo hunts but, if I start finding some good stuff either go get the kid or back out for another day when the kid can join me. That is unless he's blowing my finds away at that time, then I stay and clean up. Lol
Would like to do some hunts with other t-net members but, the majority of our hunts are yard permissions and it doesn't take long to clean a yard out. That and the fact permissions are harder and harder to get.

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
prefer to hunt with my son, sharing of spots depends on quality of finds and size of area, sad to say I'm getting more cynical!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't gone detecting with anyone, but had a couple out of the way salmon fishing spots that were overrun with "Friends of friend" that I took there one time.

So I may go detecting with someone to a local ballpark or such - but shy of giving up my specials spots for dirt fishing I researched.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After almost a half century of detecting, I just gotta say, there's nothing better than having someone share the discoveries! If you don't have a problem with your buddy finding a particularly good find. (sic - greedy). Also, if you enjoy having someone around to congratulate YOU on something you find. Then, it's the best way to enjoy this hobby.

Just go slow, build up ones that you can trust. Then, go for it! Don't "expect" anything in return though, if it comes, it comes. If they don't share with you. Just go easy on what you share with them.

ENJOY!

Sgt Fury

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2017
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites Minelab Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy the company of two buddies that I go with but got burned twice. I found a good spot through research and gained permission to hunt. I told one of my buddies where it was and made plans to go that weekend. When I found a merc, my friend said that I was only five feet away from where "his" buddy found a Morgan dollar. Turns out that he and his friend went there without me during the week and hit the spot for a few hours. It happened again a few weeks later. So now I keep it to myself until I've had a chance to hunt it for the first time by myself, then I'll invite my friend to come. I see it as a breach of etiquette but don't want to loose a 30 year friendship, so I hunt it once or twice, then invite them to my new spot.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it depends. If I stumble on a new nugget patch, or an old property that is giving up big silver, there is no way in hell I'm saying a word to anyone. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. You tell one "friend," they tell one "friend," so on and so on. If I'm going to a farm field or the woods, a park or known property, then yes, the more the merrier! :skullflag:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like both. Sometimes I just like to be alone and get some "personal" time in, but other times it is nice to have a hunting buddy to shoot the shizz with.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy the company of two buddies that I go with but got burned twice. I found a good spot through research and gained permission to hunt. I told one of my buddies where it was and made plans to go that weekend. When I found a merc, my friend said that I was only five feet away from where "his" buddy found a Morgan dollar. Turns out that he and his friend went there without me during the week and hit the spot for a few hours. It happened again a few weeks later. So now I keep it to myself until I've had a chance to hunt it for the first time by myself, then I'll invite my friend to come. I see it as a breach of etiquette but don't want to loose a 30 year friendship, so I hunt it once or twice, then invite them to my new spot.

It can be a tough call. Like, for example, *I* would NEVER go hunt where someone else is hunting. EVEN if that area is on a public park/school etc. Not without them being there. AND.....I would EXPECT the same consideration from them! (a bit far fetched/naive I suppose, for this time and age. But, that is me. :dontknow: )

So, while it's more fun with someone than not. Don't take a chance on screwing up a good and long friendship without knowing that, that, is exactly what could happen. Because, no matter how much you hunt the place, (and maybe even more so if you HAVE hunted it hard). If, by chance, your friend is hunting with you and he turns up an 1838 seated dime in immaculate condition at one of the spots you hit the hardest! Well, no matter how you pretend, it is GOING to knaw at you! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread